Kitten with heart Murmur

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
      Has any one had any experience with a young kitten having been born with what the vet feels/hears and thinks is a PDA? The kitten is 9 weeks of age and smaller than litter mates. At birth she was only 2oz. Other 2 kittens were 4 oz. my vet spoke to a Cardiologist who says it is unusual in kittens but has seen it in puppies.

      Sharon

      Sent from my iPad
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2012
        Hi Sharon

        I am sorry your kitten may have PDA, it is a congenital disorder in kittens
        and unfortunately not rare. She certainly fits the symptoms with her size
        and there is also a murmur the vat can hear. There is a blood vessel which
        is in the wrong place and she needs surgery to close the extra blood
        vessel. This can be done by a cardiologist or an animal hospital or university.
        It can be diagnosed by an ultrasound and once surgery is complete, the
        prognosis is excellent.

        Please see this link for information.

        _http://www.petplace.com/cats/patent-ductus-arteriosus-in-cats/page1.aspx_
        (http://www.petplace.com/cats/patent-ductus-arteriosus-in-cats/page1.aspx)