  • Julia Hedges
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hello All ---

      I'm Julia with a black & white American medium hair male cat, Zorro, 12 years old.  He was born in my home, 9 days premature to an injured barn cat that I took care of for 16 weeks during her recovery from injury, birth of the kittens, getting spayed, etc.  Zorro was diagnosed with CKD on July 8, 2012 and on July 31 with a heart problem with fluid on/in the lungs.  I was given 20mg. pills of Furosemide to give 1/2 pill twice a day.  I will return to the vet tomorrow to see how the diuretic is working.  Zorro's breathing was up to 60 times a minute yesterday, has slowed to around 50; this morning was around 26.  He is eating, drinking water, eliminating, jumping, alert.  I was wondering if anyone might know what else I can ask of the vet tomorrow to make sure I do everything I can for Zorro?

      There are no vets that can do an MRI in my city.  Is an x-ray good enough to fully diagnose his heart condition?  What other tests can be done to get a full picture of everything going on with my cat?  I had a blood test done July 8, which showed bun, creat, phos in the medium high range and minerals in the medium low, but have had Zorro on kd food, Aluminum Hydroxide, a homeopathic remedy, B-complex vitamins plus B-12 methyl and potassium, so would another blood test be appropriate at this time to show if there has been improvement in lowering the bad & raising the good?  I have a homeopathic vet that I'm working with via phone and he needs to know everything to get the right new remedy, if that is called for.

      Also, should I continue to give B-complex vitamins with added B-12 methyl and potassium in dropper form to counter the mineral loss from the diuretic?  My vet is not very helpful with information, or very proactive with an action plan. I'd like to know what the problem is, what to do about it and get Zorro on a daily plan that manages his conditions and gives him quality of life.

      Thanks for any ideas that any of you may have for me --- gentle head bumps --- Julia & Zorro