Re: [FH] New member, Sheena & kitty Grimm

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
      welcome to the group nobody wants to join -- we will do everything we can to help you. Most of the kitties here are on atenolol, and it takes a few days to really start to work. But if he's fainting I wonder if atenolol is the right med for him? If the blood isn't pumping properly, I don't think you'd want to slow down the heart. What did the cardiologist say specifically? You need to get a video of one or more of his fainting episodes to show the cardiologist asap. Maybe someone else here has a kitty with hyperT who can advise you more ---
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi,

        I only have these words, which came from my vet. The cardiologist was a
        visiting cardiologist to his office, so I left Grimm there with him &
        picked him up later. He was originally booked at a cardiologists office,
        but my vet wanted Grimm to be seen sooner. What I wrote there was exactly
        what my vet told me. HyperT cats often have racing hearts, as far as I
        know. I will try to get the fainting on video, but it's so unexpected,
        happens quickly & then he's up again.

        - Sheena & Grimm

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
          was that Dr Petrie you saw? He was the first cardiologist my Tigger saw --
          he used to come up to Toronto a couple days a month to do echos. But now we
          have our own cardiologist here. Ok, I don't know anything about hyperT, so
          forget what I said about the atenolol. Maybe it's the racing heart from the
          hyperT causing the fainting, and not the HCM. This is why you need a really
          good cardiologist!!!