Java update

  • qtip61
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      Thanks to all who have posted with encouragement. I was out of town for 4 days and though hubby is a great cat dad, I was nervous being away from Java.

      I was bolstered by text reports that his breathing had slowed a bit and he was once again giving Novaya some chase.

      Today the cardiologist gave more cause for hope, though our boy is still a solid "moderate" HCM. After a week on the new diuretic (Spiro) which we upped to 1/3 of a pill daily after Java's breathing increased to the low 30s BPM, there is no fluid on heart or lungs and his BUN is actually down (still low 40s, but my Nimbus lived with that for 6 years until respiratory diseases got him). Potassium actually a bit high, so we can dial back the supplement to 1/2 a Tamil-K daily. The Spiro isn't leaching it from his system or dehydrating him the way the Lasix did.

      I really quizzed the cardiologist about other meds but he wants to be sure Java is stable with regards to the fluid buildup, before adding a beta blocker to the mix. He said it wouldn't help Java in the short term, but clearly would in the long run, so wants to wait 6-8 weeks before Java's next checkup and be sure Java is stable, so we don't relax his heart and risk another episode of heart failure. I asked if ubiquinol would harm Java (I know a Western vet isn't going to say it helps) and he said it would not, so I'm putting that in the daily routine along with the 1/3 Spiro.

      Just getting a 6-8 week time table for next visit makes me feel better. If he does well I am going to ask the cardiologist about introducing another extremely gentle adult black male cat who is Java's age, who presently lives in a foster home with 8 other adults and litters of foster kittens who he helps groom. I've observed him with the kittens bounding around him and he's just Mr Cool. Even when the resident female princess swatted him twice without provocation, he kept walking (which is the temperament needed to deal with Java's housemate, Novaya). We would love to give Java the feline companionship he seeks with Novaya but she just won't give it to him, because of his occasional chasing. However we don't want to overly stress him, either. We can see these two big black beauties hanging out together as they are both very mellow in temperament. And newbie wouldn't chase Novaya, maybe being a bridge between her and Java. Any others have some input here?

      Thank you all again - this board has been a godsend for me, as was the feline asthma site for my Nimbus.

      Chris
      San Jose