asthma attacks

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2012
      Hi Eva,

      I am new to the HCM group as my kitty was just diagnosed with HCM. But Sheba also has feline asthma. Sheba is a tortie point himalayan, and it took me year to get her diagnosed correctly. However, I will tell you that Siamese, Himalayan and similiar breeds do seem to be predisposed to this condition. Feline asthma is incredibly common yet very few vets are well versed on it.

      http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2129&aid=20

      A chest X ray can often determine asthma's tell tale sign of donuts and tracks and inflammation of the bronchial tubes. The symptoms you describe sound VERY MUCH like feline asthma. Asthma attacks often occur in the middle of the night or early morning hours, and the cat is unable to take air in, but will push a great deal of air out. Diagnostic testing can get expensive and with a vet that is not well versed in feline asthma. can still be inconclusive. Very frustrating!!

      How I determined that Sheba was truly asthmatic was her response to inhaled medications? Once started on Flovent, her asthma stopped completely!! Like you, I noticed these episodes when I first got her, and just did not know what it was. Since she immediately returned back to normal behavior and did not seem bothered afterwards, I would forgot about it. Then it would happen again!! It took me a year to find the proper diagnosis. But once I did, and started the Flovent treatment, all espisodes stopped completely!! Never to return.

      The preferred method of treatment is Flovent via the AeroKat inhaler. The beauty of this method is that it has none of the long term effects that are seen with oral steriods, and if your kitty also has a heart condition, the Flovent will not negatively affect any heart medications she may be on. Inhaled steriods go directly to the lungs where they are needed, never having systemic affect on the other vital organs. Since my Sheba has both feline asthma and HCM, this is a god send!!!

      I also belong to Yahoo Group - Feline Asthma, and they have helped Sheebs and I TREMENDOUSLY. They also can hook you up with where to purchased the AeroKat and obtain inhalers are a 1/4 of the price locally. I highly recommend them.

      Good luck,

      Jordan and Sheba

    • burretje@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2012
        Hi Jordon,

        I guess your message was for me? I'm not sure if I'm the only Eva here? I think it is though.

        Thank you very much for the information! I've been thinking about asthma. The chest x-ray did not show donuts however. It did show white clouding at the top of the right lung. According to the vet this could either be an enlarged heart of scar tissue in the lungs.

        Since Zeya has been diagnosed with a heart murmur ánd has quite a history with rhinotracheitis, both options are possible. If this is a heart problem and the heart is enlarged that would be a more urgent problem than if it were something with the lungs. This is why I decided to pursue the heart first.

        I've made a list of possible other causes and asthma definately is on it. As is the thing with the enlarged soft palate, which was mentioned before.

        Thanks again!