Newbie with questions

  • vllevan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18 5:24 AM
      Hi again,

      Thank you to the wonderful people who have replied so far. It's such a relief to have this forum.

      I have some questions.

      Illyana is 7 mos old and very much a kitten. I know sleeping breaths but what would be normal for awake and during / after play?

      She has 3 small pills to take once a day. Most days I manage to get her to have them 2 in the am and 1 in the pm (ok by her vet). I put it in her soft food and let it dissolve. Some days she's picky and doesn't finish it all so I try hand feeding her. It works most times but I was wondering if there is a better way? I worry that on das when there are a few bits she doesn't eat that she's missing her important meds.

      Also, my nut-case question. How to you get used to the diagnosis? I worry about her pretty much all the time. I've managed to get better at not watching her every minute when I'm at home as it makes her think I'm nuts (well I am but she doesn't need to know that). We had an issue yesterday where my mom came hime from a Dr. appt and Illyana was sleeping. My mother is older with a good number of health issues so couldn't see Illy breathing. Mommy got scared, called me at work and I left early and rushed home. Everything was ok thank goodness. But we need to get a better handle on us - Illy doesn't seem to have a clue she has any issues :-)

      Thanks again for all your support!!
      Vickie
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18 7:32 AM
        Hi Vickie

        You only need to count breaths whilst resting. Unless she is gasping or has
        open mouth breathing you don't need to worry about counting during or
        after play. If she does gasp or open her mouth then you need to mention that to
        her cardiologist.

        Give her the pills separately to food. Wrap them in a bit of chicken or put
        them into a little chicken paste. See if she will take them, most kittens
        are greedy and will gulp them down. It's important she misses no meds.

        She doesn't know she is ill. The watching her is normal at first. I used to
        get up during the night with Milli and Trixi to check. As time passes you
        get used to the diagnosis and watch less and become more relaxed. You can't
        watch her all day, she'll wonder what you are doing and get stressed if
        you seem upset. I`m afraid it's a matter of time, you will get used to this
        and start to enjoy her again.

        Lyn:)

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18 9:03 AM
          You're right -- she doesn't know she's sick. And if you are constantly stressed, she will pick up on that. You want to keep her life as stress-free as possible. It sounds like you have a good cardiologist -- just do what he says -- and carry on. All we can do is what we can do. My little Tigger was also diagnosed at 6 months of age. I was terrified to play with him, etc. But my vet gave me some wise words -- he said kitties are "here for a good time, not a long time, so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday". That is the best advise. Treat her normally, play with her gently every day -- just stop immediately if she lays down or starts breathing heavily or panting -- but she needs some exercise. Just carry on -- try not to worry about it. You are doing everything you can!