RE: [FH] Re: I am looking for information about RESTRICTIVE cardiomyopathy

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2012
      I should also add that if the mother of your cat has RCM, then chances are
      there is a hereditary component involved. RCM is not caused by dietary
      insufficiency. It could, in theory, be caused by a secondary factor such as
      hypertension, which also is true for HCM. However, secondary factors are
      few and far between compared to genetics.

      If RCM is indeed a severe form of HCM, then your kitty has a 50/50 chance of
      developing either HCM or RCM. Still, the genetics are complicated. Vizzy
      didn't develop RCM until he was 9 years old, but he had a sister die of the
      disease when she was 5. His mother wasn't diagnosed with HCM until she was
      11, although it's possible she had the disease for many years and no one
      knew. So even if a parent is diagnosed at a late age, a child may develop
      the disease much earlier and much more (or less) severe than the parent.
      And of course since it's a 50/50 shot, some children never develop the
      disease at all.

      Cheryl