Re: It's been 3 days since Maya has taken meds

  • Lee Evans
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
      I usually keep up with this group, even though I don't at this time have a cat with heart problems.  However, I learned a good way to pill a cat
      that doesn't put stress on the cat or put me in danger of losing
      fingers and I want to share it.  My friend and I were discussing metronidazole which most vets
      here recommend for chronic diarrhea.  Unfortunately, my experience with
      the ugly stuff is that when I syringe it into the cat, I have a cat
      racing around with streams of mucus running from his mouth.  My friend
      gives it to her two cats in vanilla ice cream and they slurp it up.  So
      when Schubert, one of my rescues was diagnosed with seizure disorder,
      the vet told me the cat would have to stay on very low dose
      phenobarbital for the rest of his life.  At first, it worked out with me popping the pill down his throat.  But recently, he tried to bite my
      finger off.  That was a no-no in my book.  When my friend told me about
      the ice cream, I bought some.  I don't usually buy dairy products as I
      am a vegan but hey, for a cat?  Of course.  First I tried him on plain
      ice cream, no pill.  He lapped it up and all the rest of the cats in the room came running.  I realized that this was going to have to be an ice cream party for 20!  So I now prepare one large plate with small lumps of ice cream for all the other cats and one small plate with a crushed pill of pheno in a small lump of ice cream for Shubert.  No
      more problems and I still have 10 fingers.  You might try this method
      with Maya.

      Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!