Gloria's #-s ,need your help

  • shelleysbuttons
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
      We are back from the vet and things are pretty bad. I am waiting for
      her to call me with additional blood work and a plan of action..this
      is what i have so far, i only have one phone line so i can't be on
      line too long. BUN 59 ALB3.3 ALP 34 ALT 112 AMY 1746 TBIL 0.3
      BUN 59 CA++ 12.5 PHOS 7.7 CRE 2.4 GLU 108 K+ 4.2 TP 6.7 GLOB 3.4
      PCV 19% WBC 14,465 SEGS 96% 13,886/mm LYMPH47 Nucl rbc 1 Platelet
      adequate Comment Anisocytosis Sp. Gravilty 1.025 no crystals, trace
      hemoglobin murmur same weight 8.34 - up 1 ounce! thanks to you all.
      Shelley
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
        Shelley,

        The creatinine is still normal and the specific gravity isn't that bad. See
        if they can give you phosphorous binders to reduce her phosphorous. You
        might also see if she's anemic with a PCV of 19.

        Let us know when you hear more.

        Laura

        >We are back from the vet and things are pretty bad. I am waiting for
        >her to call me with additional blood work and a plan of action..this
        >is what i have so far, i only have one phone line so i can't be on
        >line too long. BUN 59 ALB3.3 ALP 34 ALT 112 AMY 1746 TBIL 0.3
        >BUN 59 CA++ 12.5 PHOS 7.7 CRE 2.4 GLU 108 K+ 4.2 TP 6.7 GLOB 3.4
        >PCV 19% WBC 14,465 SEGS 96% 13,886/mm LYMPH47 Nucl rbc 1 Platelet
        >adequate Comment Anisocytosis Sp. Gravilty 1.025 no crystals, trace
        >hemoglobin murmur same weight 8.34 - up 1 ounce! thanks to you all.
        >Shelley

      • Bob&Anne
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
          Phosphorous for a cat with compromised kidneys needs to be kept in the 4.0 range. 7.7 is way too high, even though a lot of vets feel that as long as it is in high normal (for a normal cat!) it is OK. It really is not, and you should insist on phosphorous binders. High phosphorous will send the creatinine and BUN numbers soaring. Is your vet addressing the low PCV at all? Are you supplementing with iron?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
              Different labs have different values. Both my cats are on Norvasc, and their
              creatinines have gone down. My vet said the Norvasc makes it easier for
              their kidneys to function.

              >Hi Laura.according to the #'s in front of me Normal
              >creatinine is 0.3 - 1.6 Gloria's is 2.4, which is
              >almost doubled from 3 months ago. I just hung up with
              >the vet and she said she is comfortable w/the
              >phosphorous but worried about the calcium. I am to
              >increase the sub-q's to 150/ml every other day. If
              >after 2 weks Gloria is still as uncomfortable as she
              >is we are going to add Norvasc. Everyone has a
              >different take and it's really confusing.
              >--- Laura Penny <lepenny@...> wrote:
              >> Shelley,
              >>
              >> The creatinine is still normal and the specific
              >> gravity isn't that bad. See
              >> if they can give you phosphorous binders to reduce
              >> her phosphorous. You
              >> might also see if she's anemic with a PCV of 19.
              >>
              >> Let us know when you hear more.
              >>
              >> Laura

            • Bill & Linda Fischbach
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
                Hi Shelley,

                If your vet isn't worried about the phosphorus, she should be. The
                phosphorus ranges given by labs are for all cats, and young healthy cats
                have higher phosphorus. A CRF cat's phosphorus should be kept as close to
                4.0 as possible, and over 6.0 is a problem. Also, calcium is connected to
                phosphorus, so if you get the phosphorus down you will probably get the
                calcium down too.

                Norvasc is for high blood pressure -- has the vet taken Gloria's BP? I
                would think that would determine whether to use Norvasc more than Gloria
                being uncomfortable. If your vet doesn't have BP equipment, look for a
                vet who does. You don't have to changes vets, but ask to have a BP
                reading. The vet with the BP equipment will contact your vet.

                Gloria's CRF numbers don't seem bad enough for a PCV of 19 (although it does
                happen). Could there be any bleeding causing the anemia?

                Also, in general it is better to give Sub-qs more often at a lesser amount,
                like 100 a day vs 150 every other day.

                Linda

                > Hi Laura.according to the #'s in front of me Normal
                > creatinine is 0.3 - 1.6 Gloria's is 2.4, which is
                > almost doubled from 3 months ago. I just hung up with
                > the vet and she said she is comfortable w/the
                > phosphorous but worried about the calcium. I am to
                > increase the sub-q's to 150/ml every other day. If
                > after 2 weks Gloria is still as uncomfortable as she
                > is we are going to add Norvasc. Everyone has a
                > different take and it's really confusing.
              • CatWoman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Bill & Linda Fischbach wrote:

                  > Hi Shelley,
                  >
                  > If your vet isn't worried about the phosphorus, she should be. The
                  > phosphorus ranges given by labs are for all cats, and young healthy
                  > cats
                  > have higher phosphorus. A CRF cat's phosphorus should be kept as
                  > close to
                  > 4.0 as possible, and over 6.0 is a problem. Also, calcium is
                  > connected to
                  > phosphorus, so if you get the phosphorus down you will probably get
                  > the
                  > calcium down too.

                  There's another yahoo group - Calcitriol - that is for people
                  who are interested in using this drug to help regulate the
                  phosphorus in CRF cats...

                  Diana
                • Bill & Linda Fischbach
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2002
                    Calcitriol is of no use when the phosphorus is about 6.

                    And there is a group for feline anemia too.

                    I have also started a group for phosphorus management.
                    It is still a small group, less than a month old.

                    Linda

                    > > If your vet isn't worried about the phosphorus, she should be. The
                    > > phosphorus ranges given by labs are for all cats, and young healthy
                    > > cats
                    > > have higher phosphorus. A CRF cat's phosphorus should be kept as
                    > > close to
                    > > 4.0 as possible, and over 6.0 is a problem. Also, calcium is
                    > > connected to
                    > > phosphorus, so if you get the phosphorus down you will probably get
                    > > the
                    > > calcium down too.
                    >
                    > There's another yahoo group - Calcitriol - that is for people
                    > who are interested in using this drug to help regulate the
                    > phosphorus in CRF cats...
                    >
                    > Diana

                  • Bill & Linda Fischbach
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2002
                      I'm sorry, this should have been that calcitriol is of no use when
                      phosphorus is above 6.

                      Linda

                      > Calcitriol is of no use when the phosphorus is about 6.
                      >
                      > And there is a group for feline anemia too.
                      >
                      > I have also started a group for phosphorus management.
                      .
                      > It is still a small group, less than a month old.
                      >
                      > Linda

                    • shelley seidman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2002
                        did it effect their appetite?..that is one of my vets
                        concerns..between pain from stones, CRF and anemia i
                        have to boost her appetite with periactin occ, and
                        that is bad for her heart.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2002
                          Hi Anne..Gloria gets her petinic twice daily, has for
                          months. She also needs baby aspirin for the HCM and it
                          also helps the pain from the kidney stones. The anemia
                          is worsened by the aspirin. I have been putting off
                          epogen but it probably isn't a choice anymore. Gloria
                          is a bit better today with the increased fluids and
                          cosequin. She hasn't lost bladder control like she did
                          the last few days, hopefully the pain medicine is
                          helping.
                          Shelley

                        • Anyes Moscrip
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 6, 2002
                            shelleysbuttons wrote:

                            > We are back from the vet and things are pretty bad. I am waiting for
                            > her to call me with additional blood work and a plan of action..this
                            > is what i have so far, i only have one phone line so i can't be on
                            > line too long. BUN 59 ALB3.3 ALP 34 ALT 112 AMY 1746 TBIL 0.3
                            > BUN 59 CA++ 12.5 PHOS 7.7 CRE 2.4 GLU 108 K+ 4.2 TP 6.7 GLOB 3.4
                            > PCV 19% WBC 14,465 SEGS 96% 13,886/mm LYMPH47 Nucl rbc 1 Platelet
                            > adequate Comment Anisocytosis Sp. Gravilty 1.025 no crystals, trace
                            > hemoglobin murmur same weight 8.34 - up 1 ounce! thanks to you all.
                            > Shelley

                            Those numbers are not that bad and very treatable. Make sure whatever heart
                            condition Gloria has is treated. Usually, subq's are started when the creat
                            gets above 3 and depending on how kitty is feeling. You will need to go a
                            low phosphorus food, and Gloria needs a phosphorus binder. Phosphorus should
                            be kept around 4 for crf kitties to do well according to Dr. Kathy James who
                            is a specialist on crf. Also, is Gloria getting iron supplementation and
                            vit B for her anemia? We found that Winstrol also worked well to address
                            anemia, as well as improve appetite and muscle strength. It improved overall
                            well being for our kitty.

                            Anyes and the girls