Re: Newly dx moderate HCM, cat is 2 yrs 3 mos old

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
      Hi Chris

      Do not listen to the prognosis. My Trixi was diagnosed with advanced HCM as
      a kitten or 12 weeks and given a couple of months to live. It is her 5th
      birthday this August and she is stable on her medications. HCM at a young
      age is alarming and it is lucky Java has been diagnosed before going into
      heart failure. What medications is he on now?

      He would benefit from Coenzyme Q, a supplement a lot of us give and all my
      cats are on it who have heart problems. 30mg a day is the usual dose.

      You need to start counting breaths to find what is normal. Pick a quiet
      time, no purrs, no dreams, just resting silently and count for 15 secs then
      get the minute rate. Over 30 is concern, over 40 an emergency, but most
      importantly you need to find what is normal for Java so you can notice changes.

      Watch for him sitting up, not able to lie comfortably or doing 'double
      drawn in breaths'

      If you are worried about blood clots then I use nattokinase with vitamin K
      removed and it's Doctor's Best I use. It dissolves any clots already there.