Newly dx moderate HCM, cat is 2 yrs 3 mos old

  • qtip61
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012
      Hello, I'm just joining as I found out two days ago our sweet, gentle, wise black kitty Java has moderate HCM. We just adopted him in late Sept 2010, he'd been rescued from behind a car wash. Really was fate we ended up with him as we were supposed to have one of his two brothers - lo and behold, someone adopted both and here we were with willful chaser Java, supposedly reformed. He wasn't reformed and it was 2 full months before we let him roam loose with our resident kitty, who still hisses at him but Java does nothing to retaliate. It took him a year to really blossom, and now that he has - this diagnosis. Not entirely surprising as no one really satisfied my concerns about the occasional "huff" exhale he had after hard play.
      We've had the darndest luck with our indoor boys, though Java is by far the youngest. I've been schooled in feline asthma, CKD, heart murmur, hyperT, rectal fibrosarcoma...and this was in our first pair of cats. Java last year taught me about food allergies. Time to learn about HCM, unfortunately....
      Java's been given months to 2 yrs, tops, by a cardiologist who reviewed his echo. Left atrial chamber pretty thickened. Not sure what to expect on the road ahead, looking for guidance. We just want our Java to be home and comfortable for however long that is. He was w/o symptoms except for that rare "huff" - the HCM was unmasked by IV fluid treatment for a severe GI issue this weekend.

      Chris
      San Jose,CA
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012
        Hi Chris,

        I am sorry to hear about Java's diagnosis.  What medications was he prescribed?

        Please know that heart kitties can live well with the proper treatment.  My Boo was given 3 mos tops and it is now going on 8mos.    Others in this group have beaten the odds too, living years!

        It is important to know Java's normal RRR and to monitor it, as this will be a signal to potential trouble.

        Keep us posted.
        Laurie and Boo

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
          Hi Chris

          Do not listen to the prognosis. My Trixi was diagnosed with advanced HCM as
          a kitten or 12 weeks and given a couple of months to live. It is her 5th
          birthday this August and she is stable on her medications. HCM at a young
          age is alarming and it is lucky Java has been diagnosed before going into
          heart failure. What medications is he on now?

          He would benefit from Coenzyme Q, a supplement a lot of us give and all my
          cats are on it who have heart problems. 30mg a day is the usual dose.

          You need to start counting breaths to find what is normal. Pick a quiet
          time, no purrs, no dreams, just resting silently and count for 15 secs then
          get the minute rate. Over 30 is concern, over 40 an emergency, but most
          importantly you need to find what is normal for Java so you can notice changes.

          Watch for him sitting up, not able to lie comfortably or doing 'double
          drawn in breaths'

          If you are worried about blood clots then I use nattokinase with vitamin K
          removed and it's Doctor's Best I use. It dissolves any clots already there.