Re: [FH] Re: update on May

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 10:31 AM
      Hi -- I have no experience with Lasix -- is she also supposd to check the potassium levels regularly? I hope May is getting canned food -- the dry foods suck the water out of the body, and can dehydrate. Any name-brand canned food is good, as long as it doesn't contain gluten -- and add some extra water to it.

      Happy Canada Day to all!
      From: r <rschu92@...>
      Subject: Re: update on May
      To:
      "Laurie Stead" <kittykatwhiskas@...>
      Date: Sunday, July 1, 2012, 1:10 PM

      Wow,

      In looking at recent posts, I see that May and I have taken over this list! Sorry for all the posts and thank you for all the help. We will be here for the duration.

      I got the atenolol and will decide tonight whether to give it or not. Prescribed dose is 1/4 pill 6.25mg. They sure are small pills!

      If I start it, I will go with 1/8 or 3.125mg. I'd like to start less, but don't know if it will split well for even 1/8.

      If her respiration stays low all day and crisis seems to be averted, is it a good idea to start this beta blocker to help prevent the heart over working and retaining fluid?

      I'm planning to give a full lasix 6.25 dose tonight, but hope to go to 1/2 that starting Monday morning. Perhaps I should wait til tomorrow morning to start atenolol?
      (only other drugs are cerenia and ranitidine, switching to ondansetron on off cerenia days).

      Thank you Laurie and all.

      -Lee and May

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 1:16 PM
        Actually I know that is really important,

        For the past 12 or 13 years I've made food for May, supplemented with kibble, now renal kibble. Chicken thighs, organic rice/veg all measured with a gram scale as the recipe changed with crf, taurine, calcium carbonate to balance the phos in the chicken, fish oil and b vitamin supplement. I've handled her crf with nutrition, no drugs - til now.

        Til this month, her crf was at bay, but now with the infection she had, the tumor of unknown effect, and now heart, she's on drugs, lasix, cerenia, and soon atenolol.

        The food has a high water content to begin with as I use the broth it's boiled in, and I've been watering it down a bit more since this heart thing and less sub q fluids.

        So we definitely have that base covered. I've even ground the kibble and watered that down to syringe feed her. (I know, watered kibble can get bacteria, so don't leave it in the fridge for more than a couple hours)

        I'd like to monitor potassium levels but we're not going to any vet anytime soon after last week. Plus her veins are old and hard to get blood from. All I can do is hope and make her comfortable.

        Thank you!

        -Lee and May

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 1:20 PM
          Laurie and Boo,

          E.R. gave us the lasix, vet and cardiologist said take it, but vet said see how she does and hopefully reduce it. So it's a moving target. I'm taking your advice, probably over the vet, right now, and will decide as it goes.

          Tonight 6.25, but there was no time frame on this dose. I'm thinking to hold off on the atenolol til I reduce the lasix dose.

          Thoughts from experience here? Are most people's cats on both? Or atenolol for prevention?

          Thank you.

          -Lee and May

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2 4:28 AM
              Hi Lee

              My cats are on a cocktail of drugs. Maxi's heart is similar to May's, with
              mild HCM and he has been on atenolol for nearly 5 years.He has never been
              in heart failure but his kidney results are always normal.

              Trixi takes atenolol, vetmedin, plavix, spiro, CoQ, fortekor. Her kidneys
              are mildly elevated, she only takes the lasix when she needs it but when she
              had her heart attack she was on the top dose (5mg every 4 hours) for a
              week.

            • r schu
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                Thought I'd post an update on May since her fainting spells 2/19:

                We seem to be balancing her crf and hcm, with low dose lasix 3mg, 1.25 plavix, and 1.25 benazepril since 3/7, all qd. Fluids reduced to 50cc/day with 10cc added orally, as well as her crf regimen. Her respiration and hr have lowered to comfortable levels and retest of blood to see if the benazepril was harming kidneys showed slight phos elevation, crea 4.9.

                Crea was 3.5 before this started one month ago, so I'm not happy about 4.9, and assume azodyl has these results lower than 'actual' kidney function. But our cardiologist doesn't want any more fluids or reduction in the benaz dose, and is very happy to see her kidney values leveling off, all be it, at this higher level.

                May has been eating much more on her own since before the benaz, but since benaz, even more. Worry wort that I am, I thought hyper t, but no!, that's normal, so...she's doing really well, if I didn't know her crea was 4.9 I'd not see it in her increased appetite as well as increased energy level. Phos is as high as it's been, but still not bad.

                What the vets all say is stress: high wbc and nuetrophils, I don't think is stress.

                But! Thursday she was pawing at her mouth, gagging with food, hurting! Vet said blood didn't show infection so watch her. I gave her some buprenex for pain and set in for a night of worry. Early a.m., she drank and ate on her own! Seemed ok, and full of cheek rubbing, seeming no pain. Then I found it, A TOOTH under the pillow, front left lower fang, rotted inside and severed at the gum
                line, looks like a mini shark's tooth.

                I wonder if the high wbc could have been a rotten tooth.

                She seems fine, possibly the root re-absorbed. She's eating, and except for an elevated resp and hr yesterday (so I skipped fluids last night), and back to normal today, is doing well.

                I wish the same to all other kitties on this list.

                -Lee and May
              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                  Hi Lee

                  It's good May is eating more, she is feeling better. An increase in kidney
                  values is expected, but my girl's increase has been quite stable.

                  High WBC usually means fighting off an infection. Are you sure there is no
                  root left in as the nerves would get exposed which is painful., Roots to
                  reabsorb. My Vannie had a tooth out and it was far too short and the vet put
                  a probe and it went straight to the fur of her chin. No root at all. Might
                  be worth just getting it checked there's nothing left impacted in there
                  although lack of pain is a good sign.

                  :) I`m happy she is feeling better. Hope the tooth fairy brings a treat:)

                • r schu
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2013
                    Just to follow up. Cardiologist said venous blood gas results are meaningless, so not to worry. (I'm still not sure why the blood results list ranges for arterial as well as venous blood gasses, but...)

                    Follow up blood showed crea at 4.6 so the 2.8 was likely a lab error.

                    Miss May has been extremely lazy in this heat wave we've been having, lounging around all stretched out. I've given some extra fluid orally, and she seems quite comfortable. Respiration has been good and this morning, no arrythmia, just a 164 heart rate after eating.

                    So except for a few out of range blood results (ca) and kidney values, the upped dose of lasix, 3oed, 3+3eod, seems to have things under control.

                    Hope all your kitties are doing well, and surviving the heat wave that is almost over in New England, USA.

                    -Lee and May