Re: [feline-heart] More on Mittens/ Was C0Q10

  • Cynthia Rausch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
      Bill & Linda Fischbach wrote:
      I started Mittens on CoQ10 and a little vitamin E about 2 weeks; that's
      about when his appetite started to wane. Maybe I should stop these for
      now and see what happens.

      Linda

      Hi Linda and Mittens,

      I cut back Taffy's Co0Q10 after finding an article that suggested
      that is can interfere with serum Calcium levels. Taffy was received
      30mg twice daily, now a 100 mg tab will last us 4 days. I slowly
      cut it back because of the fear of a rebound effect.
      Scroll down 2/3 of the page to Neuromuscular Disorders 1996;Jan;6(1):49-53:
      http://www.bettykamen.com/newsletters/9912-2.html

      Linda here is a site that suggests that you not completely stop
      using it.

      Under Contraindications:
      http://www.vitacost.com/science/nutrients/coenzymeq10.html
      CoQ10 should not be stopped suddenly, as worsening symptoms
      of heart failure may occur.

      http://www.thedacare.org/healthinfo/Supp/Coenzyme_Q10.htm
      Are there any side effects or interactions? Congestive heart
      failure patients who are taking CoQ10 should not discontinue
      taking CoQ10 supplements unless under the supervision of a
      doctor.

      http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/coq10.html
      One woman with lung cancer took CoQ10 and 30 months later was free
      of any sign of the tumor so she stopped taking the CoQ10. Six days
      later she died of pulmonary edema.

      I also found some information on different types of C0 Q10;
      http://www.dcnutrition.com/news/Detail.CFM?RecordNumber=304
      Proponents of coQ10 also note that there is a wide variance in the
      absorption rate of coQ10 products. Some are better absorbed than
      others; powders in general are thought to be poorly absorbed, so
      you need to take a higher dose in order to achieve the level of
      concentration that you might get, say, from a water-soluble or
      gel-type of coQ10. This question of coQ10 absorption is the
      subject of ongoing research, but it may be an important factor
      in determining whether Gottlieb's subjects took enough coQ10 for
      it to have been of cardiovascular benefit.

      I hope this helps,

      Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
    • Bill & Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
        Thanks, Cynthia. I will give him 15mg for a while and see how that works.

        I'm also having the free T4 tested; his T4 dropped from 2.8 to 2.3 in 3
        months; still in range, but he has all the symptoms of hyper-t.

        Linda
      • Cynthia Rausch
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
          Bill & Linda Fischbach wrote:
          Thanks, Cynthia. I will give him 15mg for a while and see how that
          works.

          I'm also having the free T4 tested; his T4 dropped from 2.8 to 2.3 in 3
          months; still in range, but he has all the symptoms of hyper-t.

          Linda

          Hi Linda and Mittens,

          Here is another link on CoQ10 suggesting appetite suppression;
          http://www.healingedge.net/briefs_coq10.html

          Adverse Effects

          Documented adverse effects associated with the use of CoQ10 in humans
          have been minor and include epigastric discomfort (0.39%), appetite
          suppression (0.23%), nausea (0.16%) and diarrhea (0.12%).4 These
          complaints are dose-related and minimized with dose reduction and/or
          dose division. Higher than usual doses exceeding 300 mg/day have been
          associated with elevated serum LDH and SGOT levels, however no hepatic
          toxicity has been observed. Late night administration has also been
          reported to cause insomnia.51

          If you haven't had a Free T4 ever I suggest that you might still
          want to do it. Taffy has a lump on his throat and we have a Free
          T4 done every second time we have blood values done.

          Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel