strange sound?

  • LeeAnnC
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
      Sunshine will be 17..she's on enalapril..lasix and vetmedin.
      she had a cardiac ultrasound a few months ago and it was perfect..they couldn't get over how great it was. She is due back in 6 months.
      Sunshine makes a strange "grunting noise" when i pick her up and when she eats and it's quiet in the room i can hear her. She only does it when eating or when i pick her up.
      She has also lost 1 1/2 pnds in the last 45 days.
      Sunshine is hyper t and her t 4 was 6.4 yesterday but her appetite is not great..she has to be coaxed to eat. All of her other bloods were perfect yesterday. My vet is saying the weight loss is from the t4 but i do notice she's not eating well.
      Any advice? I really don't know what else could be wrong with her..teeth are perfect.
      I have a cardiac consult on tuesday for Sunshine's brother so i was thinking about putting Sunshine is also but is it necessary when i just did one 2 months ago? It's another 700 dollars but i have no problem doing it ..i guess even for my own mind to calm myself.
      thanks,
      Lee Ann
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
        Hi LeeAnn,

        My Boo makes strange noises but usually when she is resting.  The cardiologist was not concerned at all.  She said those noises are "normal".  They still kinda freak me out but I am trying to be calm.

        I am sorry Sunshine is not eating well.  Since she makes the noise when eating and when picked up, could it be her stomach maybe?  Try to isolate the body part that makes her grunt.  Is Sunshine pooping normally?

        Just wanted to throw this out there since you may have another ultrasound sooner than 6mos... Boo's cardiologist has a "recheck echo" cost that is a little less.  Perhaps its worth asking if they have different rates for frequent echos.  I would talk to the cardiologist about your concerns and see what they say. I always think the cardio knows best when it comes to our heart kitties.

        Keep us posted...

        Laurie and Boo

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
          hi Lee Ann,

          A T4 that high will make them feel really awful! Is she on thyroid meds? Tapazole/Methimazole? Regardless of what anyone says, hyperthyroid doesn't always make them eat like crazy. Our Misty and her sister, angel Snowball, both hyperT have had terrible appetites when their T4's are up there.

          I would try, if you're not already, some Pepcid AC for stomach acid and/or anti-nausea meds, like Ondansetron. When Misty gets pewey, we do a short coarse of anti-nausea meds and Pepcid to see if it helps. Most of the time it does.

          No appetite could also be pancreatitis. Misty has bouts of that too, and when it's flaring up, she won't eat at all.

          The only way to test for that is a 12 hour fasting fTLI, fPLI, Folate, Cobalamine that the vet send out to the Texas A & M University lab. I know that Idexx now will do that test, but my vet uses the TAMU lab.

          The strange sound, the grunting... Misty does that too, when she's eating and sometimes when she's laying and we try to move her... I think it's a pain thing...with Misty anyway.

          Carol