Re: [feline-heart] Mittens

  • Bill & Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
      Hi Diana,

      Mittens started Atenolol about a month ago, 1/4 every other day. The
      cardiologist was concerned that it might hurt his CRF values, and it has.
      He started on a Monday, and bloodwork on Friday (3 doses) showed a rise in
      CRF numbers from just 2 weeks earlier.

      At first though, he seemed to eat better, but for the past 2 weeks he's been
      fussy, and now doesn't want anything. I've syringe fed him today, but he
      hates that and the stress isn't good for his heart. But he hasn't lost
      weight.

      Is there something besides Atenolol to slow a rapid heart rate. It was 260
      at the cardiologists, with some HCM, before starting the atenolol. He
      also has high BP, but was a lot better on Norvasc, and that was when his CRF
      numbers improved.

      Linda
    • Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
        In the past week, Mittens had gained about half a pound; at first I thought
        this was due to worming in December, but noticed that he was breathing a
        little hard. He does have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so I was concerned
        about fluid buildup.

        Mittens seemed better during the night, so Bill went to work early and as
        soon as the vet opened I called for an appointment. We got a 9:30, so Bill
        didn't stay at work long.

        The vet Xrayed, and said there was a little fluid in his stomach, but more
        in the heart/lung area. He called the cardiologist to see if we could get
        in, but they were busy and said they'd call back within 30 minutes. Since
        the vet is 25 miles from home in one direction, and the cardiologist 70
        miles in the other, we decided to go home and then find out what was
        happening.

        The cardiologist was completely booked, but said we should come in via the
        ER. So, 20 minutes after we got home we were on the road again. Mittens
        DID have fluids; they drained 150ml from his chest. Cardiologist said his
        heart was much larger than in September (bad news), and gave us a
        prescription for Lasix and for Enipril. They also took some blood for
        bloodwork, and said not to start the enipril until Monday after they get the
        blood work results. All this was done between appointments while we were
        in the waiting room (the vet came out to talk to us about 5 times). We
        were there from 1PM to 5PM, and didn't get home until near 7. Mittens
        feels much better and is more active.

        I sure hope the lasix prevents further fluid buildup, and the enipril helps
        his heart.

        Long day (10 hours and 190 miles). I haven't read any posts yet, and
        probably won't get to most of them.

        Linda
        Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
        King George, Virginia
      • Eln Lou
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
          How is Mittens now? I hope the meds work--good luck!

          Eln

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Fischbach" <fischbl@e...>