Winn Foundation

  • lorkatz2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
      To All

      Our PKD has collected funds for $250 to help finance research for heart/kidney research. It is my sincere hope that some of this research will benefit your cats............see below what they are trying to do

      W12-039: Administration of pimobendan to cats with chronic kidney disease
      Mary Anna Labato, Brandi Gallagher, John Rush; Tufts University: $20,000

      Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is one of the most common reasons that senior cats are presented to veterinarians. These investigators have administered pimobendan to cats with combined kidney and heart disease after the patients developed congestive heart failure. In some of these patients, a greater improvement in kidney values and clinical response than is typically noted occurred when they were treated with pimobendan. Pimobendan is an effective drug for management of heart failure in dogs and may support kidney function through improved heart function and improved blood supply to the kidneys. This drug is also given to cats with heart disease. This pilot study will assess the effect of administering pimobendan to cats that only have CKD compared with standard treatment methods
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
        hi

        That's interesting. My cats are on pimobendan (vetmedin) and both have
        normal kidney values. Fortekor helps hearts and kidneys, maybe vetmedin works
        in a similar way.

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
          My heart kitty is on pimobendan but now has mildly elevated kidney enzymes. Guess it just goes to show every kitty is different.

          Laurie and Boo

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone

          That's interesting. My cats are on pimobendan (vetmedin) and both have
          normal kidney values. Fortekor helps hearts and kidneys, maybe vetmedin works
          in a similar way.

        • tafoster4000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
            Interesting. My heart kitty, Moe, is on pimobendan since March. He had mildly elevated BUN and creatinine values before March but just looked (keep all labs in spreadsheet) and his BUN and creatinine are both down slightly, high end normal range. He is on a fairly high dose of lasix so would have expected those values to increase but they haven't, so maybe this pimobendan link is the reasons.

            Taca