Surprise! Frail old boy has improved.

  • pfeifferv2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
      A month ago, Roscoe had his 1st ultrasound and diagnosed with severe
      HCM. His left Ventricle was very enlarged. He had just had a blood
      clot in his leg and could barely walk.

      He is also diabetic with moderate CRF. I had just started giving him
      60 cc. LRS daily. I was apprehensive about fluids with HCM.

      For 4 weeks he has received 30 mg. Diltiazem daily and a baby aspirin
      (81mg.)every three days.

      He has cleared a path through the clot and can now walk around, (a
      bit wobbly on occasion but he can go wherever he wants).

      The ultrasound last night showed that his left enlarged ventricle has
      shrunk by about 25%. He still has a bit of fluid around his heart,
      but no more than prior to sub-qs. Vet says this is an improvement and
      I am now to give him 100 cc. sub-Qs each day - to make him feel even
      better and help his kidneys.

      I think it was Eve who asked about sub-Qs and HCM.

      I was actually surprised that the medication can improve his heart as
      all I hoped was that it may arrest the deterioration.

      So he is frail, but very alert,walking around the house and garden
      and eating quite well.
      Regards to all. Valerie and Roscoe.
    • paula_ps2002
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
        How is Roscoe doing? Sorry if this is inappropriate but I've just
        joined the group, and am looking for info. on diltiazem. My cat was
        diagnosed with hcm in mid-March, and initially did well. However,
        over the past few days he has deteriorated badly, and I was
        considering adding diltiazem to his meds. He is taking an ACE
        inhibitor (benazapril) 1/2 75mg aspirin twice a week, and furosemide
        (lasix) 3 times a day.

        I don't want to stress him by returning to the vet, as I fear that
        would be the end of him. The vet has agreed to prescribe diltiazem,
        but is not happy to do anything without a consult. This is despite
        the fact that my cat had ultrasound, ekg, bloods, xrays, only 3weeks
        ago - you would think that would be sufficient info. - and in any
        event, this really is our last hope. If this fails, we will have to
        say goodbye as it's too heartbreaking to see him in this state - he's
        lost all his former personality ( a very mischevious boy) and just
        seems to be barely living.

        Many thanks for any info. you can give.

        Regards Paula and Thomas

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "pfeifferv2001" <valeriepfeiffer@h...>