ARF and Heart Issues

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
      Hi,

      My eight year old cat Smudge was in acute renal failure two years ago. Since then she has been on Sub Q at 150 CC six times a week. She is 9.2 LB. She is also on aluminum hydroxide and aransep for her anemia. Is the daily sub Q fluids the cause of her heart condition? If so can I reduce the amount of fluids that I give her? Her BUN is 54 and her creatinine is 3.0. They use to be really high two years ago.
      She is going to be put on benazepril for her heart. So far all I was told is that she has a grade 3 heart mur mur. I think we will go with an ecko cardiogram to see how severe it may be. How do you balance kidney disease and heart issues when they need fluids?

      Thanks,

      Lisa
    • Lynda Doty
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
        Lisa, I am so glad you will be having her get the echo. I wish we had had Martha's lots earlier than we did. Maybe we could be doing more for her now.  Yes, it is a very delicate balance between kidneys and heart but it can be done. I mentioned once to our cardiologist that of the two, heart should come first. He said, no, they were equally important. That, from a cardiologist. He is keeping a close check on her kidney values as we administer lasix. I'm sure your cardiologist will give you excellent advice.

        What was the determining factor is your diagnosis, between ARF and CRF?
        Against my vet's wishes, I cut way back on the amount of fluids I gave her. When she was first diagnosed, she was to be in the hospital for 3 days of IV fluids. She went into CHF on the second day. I was super cautious with the fluids I gave her, I never gave her more than 100cc subQ, Martha weighs about 14 pounds. So to me, 150cc sounds like a lot. Do you have a good vet working with your heart doctor? They need to stay in close touch and coordinate their treatment plans.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Blessings,
        Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

        Hi,

        My eight year old cat Smudge was in acute renal failure two years ago. Since then she has been on Sub Q at 150 CC six times a week. She is 9.2 LB. She is also on aluminum hydroxide and aransep for her anemia. Is the daily sub Q fluids the cause of her heart condition? If so can I reduce the amount of fluids that I give her? Her BUN is 54 and her creatinine is 3.0. They use to be really high two years ago.
        She is going to be put on benazepril for her heart. So far all I was told is that she has a grade 3 heart mur mur. I think we will go with an ecko cardiogram to see how severe it may be. How do you balance kidney disease and heart issues when they need fluids?

      • Toby Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
          Fluids can put a cat into CHF, but as far as I'm aware, fluids don't/can't cause heart murmurs, if that's the "issues" that you're referring to.  Balancing kidney and heart disease is a nightmare, at best.  Has Smudge been in CHF?

          Ryan