Limping cat!

  • lilahsmom94
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
      Hi,
      My cat Lilah started limping yesterday. It is her right front leg, when shen sits up she lifts it off the ground to avoid putting any weight on it. I called er twice last night and they said no cardiologist was there so no echo or u/s could be done until today so I kept her home and am taking her in shortly. I am looking for any info/feedback others can provide. A few more details:

      - She has HCM. At the end of Feb echo recheck showed progression and enlarged left atrium. She started pimobendan 1x/day. She's had a lot of blood in her urine and I can't get plavix into her so I started Natto (720FU - 36mg) once/day then eod b/c it's hard for her to swallow the big pill. Last Sunday she vomited shortly after having a hard time getting the pill down so I stopped it and ordered a powdered form which hasn't arrived yet.
      -I did get the Natto into her at 5pm yesterday, then another at 2am.
      - She has arthritis and her nails need to be trimmed so I'm holding out some hope that might be the issue.
      - The right leg looks a bit swollen to me.

      My questions are:
      Is it correct that Heparin etc will not help dissolve an existing clot? Is there anything else that may be suggested?

      the cardiologist is not on board w/the natto but do people here think that's the best chance of dissolving the clot (if there is one)?? I know it's not advised to give natto in addition to anything else that thins the blood so if they give her heparin etc should I d/c it?

      Thanks in advance for any/all input. I'm freaking out and so upset that she went a week w/out the natto. Cardiologist estimated her chance of developing a clot w/in the next year was 10% so I rationalized that it wasn't the end of the world to wait for powdered natto to arrive. I am kicking myself now. Anyway, thanks for reading this long post.

      Kristin
    • Toby Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
        Check her nail beds; if you can still see pink in her nails, chances are blood is still flowing.  I'm assuming you don't have a stethoscope but you could also check for a pulse in that paw.  You can also check to see if it is colder than other paws (another sign of a blood restriction).  Front paw clots are fairly uncommon from what I understand, a vast majority go to the rear legs.

        The main thing is to make sure that she doesn't go into CHF.  Once a cat has a clot, monitoring for CHF would be my primary concern.

        Just my thoughts...

        Ryan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
          Hi Kristin

          There are many reasons she could be limping, she may have injured herself
          or it may be the long nails. Is the paw cold to touch? If there is a clot,
          she will need urgent treatment but clots usually trap in the back legs, not
          the front. If the paw is swollen, it could be a reaction to a bite or an
          infected nail. I hope you get your answers at the vets today as soon as
          possible.

          Mention the natto to the vet if it is a clot so they can best decide on
          treatment.