Mittens

  • Bill & Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
      We took Mittens to the vet for a check up. BP about 160, where it's been
      since we started Norvasc. Heart rate 200, not good, but he was mad -- and
      better than 260 before Atenolol. His weight is constant at 21 pounds.

      Bun 39.9, was 36.7
      Creat 3.3 was 3.4 (high normal 2.4)
      Phos 5.2 was 4.3 (he gets Binders)
      Pot 4.5 was 4.7
      Calcium 13.02 was 11
      HCT 41
      T4 2.3

      He doesn't want to eat much, either -- good stuff or junk, he still doesn't
      want it. I made up some soft stuff with Wysongs, peas, baby food meat, and
      chicken broth and syringe fed him some. I'll increase his binders.

      I'm really worried about him, even though I know these numbers aren't that
      bad. The not eating anything is new. The vet will be in touch with the
      cardiologist; maybe it's the atenolol which is when things started to get
      worse. Is there anything besides atenolol to lower the heart rate?

      Linda
      Thanks,
      Linda

      Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
      King George, Virginia
      <fischbl@...>
    • Catwoman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
        Bill & Linda Fischbach wrote:

        > He doesn't want to eat much, either -- good stuff or junk, he still
        > doesn't want it. I made up some soft stuff with Wysongs, peas,
        > baby food meat, and chicken broth and syringe fed him some.
        > I'll increase his binders.
        >
        > I'm really worried about him, even though I know these numbers
        > aren't that bad. The not eating anything is new. The vet will
        > be in touch with the cardiologist; maybe it's the atenolol which is
        > when things started to get worse.

        > Is there anything besides atenolol to lower the heart rate?

        Linda - Muffin stopped eating when we put him on Atenolol also, so
        he's now off it, and *almost* back to 'normal' eating. It took less
        than a week for the atenolol to affect his appetite (and cause rather
        violent vomiting), and rather more than a week for it to wear off
        enough for him to want to eat.

        He still doesn't eat much at one time, but he is hungry regularly.
        (21 pounds! Whew! Muff's down to 8.something!)

        What I've been giving Muff recently is a mix of K/D, Hill's Senior
        (commercial) Beef, some nuked beef fat, and distilled water, blended
        together to form a paste. He will eat a small amount of that mix
        several times a day (when I'm around). 'small amount' - about a
        tablespoon or two at a time. He seems to prefer it cold - or at
        least not warm. He also won't eat it if it's in a cup or bowl - I
        have little flat 'plates' (they're the ones used for putting soy
        sauce in when eating Sushi), and he'll eat out of that, only.

        Oh - he will also eat dry K/D.

        Diana
      • Bill & Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
          Hi Diana,

          Mittens started Atenolol about a month ago, 1/4 every other day. The
          cardiologist was concerned that it might hurt his CRF values, and it has.
          He started on a Monday, and bloodwork on Friday (3 doses) showed a rise in
          CRF numbers from just 2 weeks earlier.

          At first though, he seemed to eat better, but for the past 2 weeks he's been
          fussy, and now doesn't want anything. I've syringe fed him today, but he
          hates that and the stress isn't good for his heart. But he hasn't lost
          weight.

          Is there something besides Atenolol to slow a rapid heart rate. It was 260
          at the cardiologists, with some HCM, before starting the atenolol. He
          also has high BP, but was a lot better on Norvasc, and that was when his CRF
          numbers improved.

          Linda
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
            In the past week, Mittens had gained about half a pound; at first I thought
            this was due to worming in December, but noticed that he was breathing a
            little hard. He does have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so I was concerned
            about fluid buildup.

            Mittens seemed better during the night, so Bill went to work early and as
            soon as the vet opened I called for an appointment. We got a 9:30, so Bill
            didn't stay at work long.

            The vet Xrayed, and said there was a little fluid in his stomach, but more
            in the heart/lung area. He called the cardiologist to see if we could get
            in, but they were busy and said they'd call back within 30 minutes. Since
            the vet is 25 miles from home in one direction, and the cardiologist 70
            miles in the other, we decided to go home and then find out what was
            happening.

            The cardiologist was completely booked, but said we should come in via the
            ER. So, 20 minutes after we got home we were on the road again. Mittens
            DID have fluids; they drained 150ml from his chest. Cardiologist said his
            heart was much larger than in September (bad news), and gave us a
            prescription for Lasix and for Enipril. They also took some blood for
            bloodwork, and said not to start the enipril until Monday after they get the
            blood work results. All this was done between appointments while we were
            in the waiting room (the vet came out to talk to us about 5 times). We
            were there from 1PM to 5PM, and didn't get home until near 7. Mittens
            feels much better and is more active.

            I sure hope the lasix prevents further fluid buildup, and the enipril helps
            his heart.

            Long day (10 hours and 190 miles). I haven't read any posts yet, and
            probably won't get to most of them.

            Linda
            Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
            King George, Virginia
          • Eln Lou
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
              How is Mittens now? I hope the meds work--good luck!

              Eln

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Fischbach" <fischbl@e...>