[FH] Re: [almost] New Member Chili

  • kateydiddles29
    Message 1 of 20 , May 23, 2012
      Am glad you are exploring starting your kitty on Benazepril. As someone else said, Benazapril and Enalapril are in the same class of drugs. My 5 year old Zax was diagnosed with CHF and HCM in November 2011. He was on Lasix and Enalapril. His 6 month echo actually showed improvement in the size of his left atrium (it is back within normal limits). He is now on Enalapril only and will probably take that for life. HCM and CHF are scary but our kitties can be helped by meds and even improve!

      Good luck!

      Karen and Zax

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Wendy <wthomp381@...> wrote:

      > Got Rx for benazepril yesterday.  Hope to get him started on it soon.  Thanks for the info.

    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 20 , May 30, 2012
        Okay, Chili & I are back.  Based on advice from the hyperT group, I took Chili back to vet to get a free T4 test, and it turns out he IS NOT hyperthyroid--one less thing to worry about.

        I got the Rx for the benazepril and plan to start it tomorrow.  How do you administer it?  Should that help his breathing?  His breathing seems to be a bit labored today.  Don't think it's fluids because when I took him in last week, the vet did another x-ray and said fluids were less than after she had drained them previously so the Lasix must be working, right?  He has a good appetite and seems to feel fine, but the breathing worries me.

        Thanks for any info.

        Wendy & Chili

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 20 , May 31, 2012
          Hi

          It's good he's not hyperthyroid, that's one less worry for you. I give the
          enalapril as a tablet, but its beef flavoured so they all love it, not sure
          if the benazepril is flavoured. If not wrap it in cheese, or chicken paste
          and see if he'll take it. CHF can get worse overnight so any increase in
          breathing is a red flag even if he was checked last week. He might need a
          higher dose of lasix so if it continues I`d get to the vet for a listen to
          the lungs to see if there is fluid build up there.

          :) Lyn

        • Wendy
          Message 4 of 20 , May 31, 2012
            Thanks for the info.  I will call the vet this morning.