Re: [FH] Lasix

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , May 23, 2012
      Hi Lynda

      I am sorry Martha seems worse. Unfortunately balancing heart and kidney
      disease is difficult but the heart failure would be the most important. Lasix,
      in my experience, needs to be given 2 or 3 times a day because it lasts 8
      hours. It keeps control of the heart failure and stops fluid building up.
      If Martha's kidney results aren't serious, she could be given the lasix and
      then tested in a week or two to see if it is harming her. There is another
      diuretic called spironolactone which prevents fluid build up and is kinder
      on the kidneys so if there was a problem she could have a mix of both like
      my Milli has.

      5mg lasix 2-3 times a day is not a large dose, but is normal in heart
      failure. My cats have had this and then their kidney results are checked quite
      regularly and have shown no deterioration at all.

      Once Martha's heart is stabilised the diurectics can be tapered down if
      that happens.

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1, 2014
        Hi

        I agree with these suggestions. A chest tap isn't unusual and most cats tolerate it quite well. It's not much different to having a blood test. It may be the lasix needs increasing, or as others have suggested adding spironolactone which also worked for my cat and pimobendan has been a life saver too.