Re: Diltiazem/enacard

  • Jeanne Warner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2000
      Dom was just put on Vasotec (generic of Enacard)this past month. He
      was taking Dilitizem for 6 months now. His cardiologist explained to
      us that the dilitizem was to keep the heart walls from farther
      thickening. After 6 months on this, his ultrasound showed that the
      measurement was the exact same thing as before. So,it is working for
      him. He then said we would add the Vasotec to keep the heart from
      getting stiff. He said that he has seen many cats that show
      improvement when the Vasotec is added. I know this doesn't totally
      answer your question but that has been my experience with these 2
      drugs that we are using.

      I am sorry to hear that Chloe isn't doing well. Do you have a
      cardiologist to call?I know ours is an hour drive from home but my
      regular vet always has me check with him if I have any questions or
      if there is the slightest problem with Dom. They do run the blood
      tests and do checkups etc. and send the results to him.

      Good luck,
      Jeanne & Dom

      --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
      wrote:
      > I don't know if this is posting two times. Sorry if it does. My
      > question is can anyone tell me exactly what the difference between
      > Enacard & Diltiazem is? My 16yr old Chloe did really well on
      Enacard
    • brunobaby@accesshub.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2000
        Jeanne Warner wrote:

        >He then said we would add the Vasotec to keep the heart from
        >getting stiff. He said that he has seen many cats that show
        >improvement when the Vasotec is added.

        My vet, who works closely with a cardiologist, said that Vasotec "cuts" the
        communication between the heart and the kidneys. Meaning that the kidneys
        normally say "more blood!" so the heart pumps harder to give the kidneys
        more blood. Vasotec/Enacard intercepts the message to lessen the strain on
        the heart, but could be bad for the kidneys, which is why cats on Vasotec
        have to keep having their kidneys tested.

        Pongo's been on Vasotec for a month now, and is going for a kidney test on
        Saturday, so I'm typing with crossed fingers. <G>

        --Melinda
      • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2000
          my vet doesn't like to use diltiazem, prefers atenolol, swears by it!

          zayfodbb@... wrote:

          > In several cats, I have had pretty good success with enacard. The
          > one cat we had on dilitiazem did very poorly on it. None of the vets
          > here know much either :(
          >
          > MJ
          >
          > --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > I don't know if this is posting two times. Sorry if it does. My
          > > question is can anyone tell me exactly what the difference between
          > > Enacard & Diltiazem is? My 16yr old Chloe did really well on
          > Enacard
          > > for 2.5 mos. along with his 5 mg mg Lasix. I had to switch vets
          > and
          > > then his chest filled up again and he decided to switch him to
          > > Diltiazem instead of the Enacard and double his Lasix. Since then,
          > > (two weeks) he has been tapped two times and not looking very well
          > at
          > > all. Im afraid this is going to be it. Im getting so I don't think
          > > the vets around here even know what they are doing. I was thinking
          > > that I should put him back on his Enacard. What do you guys think??
          > > Very desperite. He's not eating either. Also on baby aspirin
          > every
          > > three days. Thanks for listening, Kathie & My Chloe

        • Jill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12 7:57 AM
            I just cut my cat down from 30mg/day diltiazem down to 15. I can't
            pill him, so I have it compounded. It has to be in a suspension, so
            it's very thick. He hates it and often pukes it up.

            He started out last December on 60mg/day and it made him so sick I
            thought it was time to put him down. I spared him his diltiazem dose
            on his "last day" and when I came home to take him for euthanasia, he
            was himself again.

            Thanks for the tip about atenolol. I have an appt. to take Ollie for
            a blood test on the 29th and I'll ask the vet about it. He has a
            cardiologist he consults with.

            Jill

            --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, Miguel &Linda Irrgang <irrgang@r...>
            wrote:
            > my vet doesn't like to use diltiazem, prefers atenolol, swears by
            it!

            > zayfodbb@a... wrote:
            >
            > > In several cats, I have had pretty good success with enacard. The
            > > one cat we had on dilitiazem did very poorly on it. None of the
            vets
            > > here know much either :(
            > >
            > > MJ
            > >
            > > --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > I don't know if this is posting two times. Sorry if it does.
            My
            > > > question is can anyone tell me exactly what the difference
            between
            > > > Enacard & Diltiazem is? My 16yr old Chloe did really well on
            > > Enacard
            > > > for 2.5 mos. along with his 5 mg mg Lasix. I had to switch vets
            > > and
            > > > then his chest filled up again and he decided to switch him to
            > > > Diltiazem instead of the Enacard and double his Lasix. Since
            then,
            > > > (two weeks) he has been tapped two times and not looking very
            well
            > > at
            > > > all. Im afraid this is going to be it. Im getting so I don't
            think
            > > > the vets around here even know what they are doing. I was
            thinking
            > > > that I should put him back on his Enacard. What do you guys
            think??
            > > > Very desperite. He's not eating either. Also on baby aspirin
            > > every
            > > > three days. Thanks for listening, Kathie & My Chloe

            > > The Crocodile Hunter is back for a week of mayhem in the muck!
            Tune in June