Re: Raja needs fluids for end stage kidney disease

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2012
      Hi Karen

      I'm sorry to hear about Raja's kidney issues. I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster that you should follow the cardio's recommendations. For general knowledge purposes, I'll add that every other day or every 2 days, 2x a week, etc. fluids aren't always better than every day. If you give less fluids every day (rather than a larger amount every two days, etc.), it can actually be easier on the heart and kidneys because the fluid balance is more regulated. Neither the kidneys nor the heart appreciate a relatively infrequent glut of salt and fluid. Having said that, there are many cats who are not cooperative and 2x week is the most that they will tolerate and these cats seem to do just fine. Heart/kidney cats may benefit from a more steady supply of fluids, though.

      One thing you can do is to get syringes and give the fluids with a syringe and a butterfly (rather than drip directly from a bag) so you give a more precise amount. This helps with heart kitties because giving an extra 20-30mls may make a difference in these patients.

      Take care and keep us posted on Raja ok?
      Adrianna