Sub-q fluids and enemas

  • zellenesa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      This is a painful topic for me. I had taken Widgie to the vet because
      she was constipated. They gave her some fluids...not a huge
      amount...and an enema. That night she went into Congestive Heart
      Failure. An ultrasound of her heart 7 weeks earlier had shown very
      slight enlargement but nothing problematical...certainly not enough
      to start meds.

      I still blame myself for taking her to the vet that day. I wonder if
      I had tried another day of home treatment for the constipation,
      whether she would be without the HCM now.

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002

        It's so easy to play the blame game when something like this
        happens. In this case, I suspect there was every chance that
        Widgie would have gone into CHF that night anyway. If that had
        happened, you would be blaming yourself for NOT taking her to the
        vet.

        Don't beat yourself up. You gave Widgie the best chance of
        recovery & you got her professional help. You can't do more than
        that.

        JR
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
      • shelley seidman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          Your Widgie is so lucky to have a human willing to
          fight her..please don't blame ourself. This is a
          rollercoaster, you make the best choices possible.
          Shelley
          > > This is a painful topic for me. I had taken Widgie
          > > the vet because she was constipated. They gave her
          > some
          > > fluids...not a huge amount...and an enema. That
          > night
          > > she went into Congestive Heart Failure. An
          > ultrasound
          > > of her heart 7 weeks earlier had shown very
          > > slight enlargement but nothing problematical...
          > > certainly not enough to start meds.
          >
          > > I still blame myself for taking her to the vet
          > that
          > > day. I wonder if I had tried another day of home
          > > treatment for the constipation,
          > > whether she would be without the HCM now.
          >
          > It's so easy to play the blame game when something
          > like this
          > happens. In this case, I suspect there was every
          > chance that
          > Widgie would have gone into CHF that night anyway.
          > If that had
          > happened, you would be blaming yourself for NOT
          > taking her to the
          > vet.
          >
          > Don't beat yourself up. You gave Widgie the best
          > chance of
          > recovery & you got her professional help. You can't
          > do more than
          > that.

          > --
          > JR
          > Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
            I had taken Widgie
            > > the vet because she was constipated. They gave her
            > some
            > > fluids...not a huge amount...and an enema. That
            > night
            > > she went into Congestive Heart Failure

            When my 2 yr. old cat was in Congestive Heart Failure
            after checking out OK 2 months prior when he got his
            shots, he was extremely constipated and that was what
            caused the emergency vet to look for what had caused
            his GI tract to shut down. So it seems that the
            constipation is a symptom of heart failure, I do not
            think that the enema caused the heart failure in your
            case. I think once the heart gets to a certain point
            there is a very poor prognosis and throwing clots,
            extreme lethargy, and low body temps are some of the
            signs.

            Susan

            http://greetings.yahoo.com