Re: [feline-heart] SubQ fluids + HCM, sub-freezing temps

  • CatWoman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      I don't know if there is a blanket ban on giving subcu fluids to
      a cat with HCM - but with most (if not all?) heart problems, there
      is a problem with fluid build-up, along with the problem of the
      more fluid in the body, the higher the blood pressure (if you
      have trouble having blood samples taken because your blood vessels
      sort of 'disappear', try drinking a *lot* of water just before you
      have the test taken).

      So - if you *are* going to give sub-cu fluids, you should keep
      an eye on the reactions of the cat even more than you would with
      a cat without problems. I would give *half* the usual amount of
      fluids to start with, and I'd be sure the vet has an injectable
      diuretic available (we had to do this with Biscuit, Muffin's
      brother - even though she didn't have his heart problem, when
      we put her on fluids, she wound up with a fluid build-up in her
      chest).

      Diana
    • CatWoman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        CatWoman wrote:

        > diuretic available (we had to do this with Biscuit, Muffin's
        > brother

        Bad form to do a followup to yourself - but sheesh - I'm starting
        the year out badly!

        Bisc was Muffin's *SISTER*!

        Diana
      • shelley seidman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Helen..i always appreciate your insights. Although
          i don't have #'s handy i remembered yesterday that the
          vet said that Gloria's urine tests were more
          indicative of the CRF than the blood..i recall being
          told there was a major prob with her specific gravity.
          The vet's office has been closed because of a massive
          snowstorm..i'm hoping to get some more info tomorrow.

          http://greetings.yahoo.com