Toby.. HCM and now enlarged liver

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10 10:19 AM
      HI all

      Toby is 7, a big, soppy, beautiful british shorthair boy. He has mild HCM
      diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur at 9 months old and some mitral valve
      problems. Today he went for his boosters and the vet spent a long time feeling
      his abdomen and said he has a very enlarged liver. Xrays confirmed this but
      the rest of his chest cavity was ok, no fluid build up and his heart
      rate/breathing were normal.

      A needle aspirate has been taken for pathology and it's off to the lab. My
      vet feels this is not heart related but either inflammation of some sort or
      lymphoma. This came out of the blue and has stunned me. I`m sorry it's
      slightly off topic, but Toby has been here 6 years on the forum with my other
      cats. Should get the results early next week. Enlarged liver can also
      indicate heart failure but it doesn't seem to be the case with Toby.

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10 10:51 AM
        hi Lyn,

        Whatever the tests come back with, I would start giving him two supplements if you can get them. One is Milk Thistle. It is very healing to the liver. The other is SAMe (s-adenosyl l-methionine). There is a veterinary version called Denosyl http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Products/Denosyl.aspx That company also makes one that is a combination of the extract of milk thistle and SAMe called Denamarin.

        I hope the tests are not any kind of lymphoma, but rather just inflamation. Either way, both of those supplements can help.

        Carol