Re: [FH] plan for an emergency...

  • Kathleen King
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1 8:59 PM
      With Danny, my vet helped me develop an emergency plan and gave me some emergency meds including nitroglycerin paste and injectable lasix.  When he was on Enalapril I was also suppose to give an extra dose of that if there was ever an emergency or if he even started acting like he was having problems.  I live even further from the vet and the emergency hospital so that was always a fear of mine.

      I didn't know you could get oxygen without a doctor's order.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1 9:22 PM
        This request is so very timely! I, too, would love to know everyone's suggestions. I had to take Twix in today to get blood drawn to check her kidney/liver functions after being put on Enalapril and Lasix. She shook like a leaf, panted, and cried the whole way there and back. The Cardiologist said to watch her closely these next couple of days to see if she goes into failure again. Her heart rate was too rapid for him to get a good listen to the function. I even put Feliway in her carrier. Do any of you have cats that get super nervous when going to the vet, and if so, how do you stop them from having such a reaction? Thank you in advance for responding :)
        Joanne
        (& Twix, Tigger, and Tagg)

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 1, 2012, at 8:46 PM, "joeychloe" <joeychloe@...> wrote:

        > does anyone know the best plan for an emergency for a cat with hcm if they need to go to the emergency hospital and it is 15 minutes away? the only one i have come up with is to buy an oxygen mask and request medication from his cardiologist such as lasix (or something more effective for emergencies) to buy me some time to get to the hospital...all suggestions are so welcome :)

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1 11:16 PM
          Hi -- I never heard of giving a kitty nitroglycerin -- under what circumstances did he say you would use it?

        • acrocat@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 22 , May 1 11:19 PM
            Hi Joanne

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Joanne Haeussinger <chmiss01@...> wrote:
            > Do any of you have cats that get super nervous when going to the vet, and if so, how do you stop them from having such a reaction? Thank you in advance for responding :)
            > Joanne
            > (& Twix, Tigger, and Tagg)

            You can see about getting a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication such as lorazepam or alprazolam. You can also get a housecall vet or tech to come to your place to draw blood, if that is all that is needed.

            Adriann
          • Judi Levens
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2 6:59 AM
              yes, because we were in Mexico for 6 months a year with virtually no vet access, I asked my vet for and he perscribed butorphenol and extra lasix. Both things came in handy...I used the butorphenol twice, when Max had a (minor) clot) and when he was passing. It's for pain and relaxes them also (the Mexican vet said it was like morphine.) I used the extra lasix when he threw the clot. When he threw the clot he was Ok the following morning, and I credit both of these meds for that somewhat, because he got very nervous when he realized something was wrong (probably remembering his 48 hours in emergency with oxygen) and the butorphenol put him to sleep while the lasix and aspirin and natto worked and his body recovered. I would ask for these two things and instructions on how to use. Good luck...Judi and Angel Max

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              From: joeychloe@...
              Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 03:46:46 +0000

              does anyone know the best plan for an emergency for a cat with hcm if they need to go to the emergency hospital and it is 15 minutes away? the only one i have come up with is to buy an oxygen mask and request medication from his cardiologist such as lasix (or something more effective for emergencies) to buy me some time to get to the hospital...all suggestions are so welcome :)

            • Jim Sinclair
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2 8:38 AM
                On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM, joeychloe <joeychloe@...> wrote:

                > does anyone know the best plan for an emergency for a cat with hcm if they
                > need to go to the emergency hospital and it is 15 minutes away?

                Clipsy's cardiologist gave me a kind of decision tree about what to do
                if her breathing rate (sustained, not just during excitement or
                emphatic purring) was over 40 per minute. I don't have the piece of
                paper handy anymore because Clipsy died last summer, but I do recall
                that I was supposed to do one thing if her breathing was "labored" in
                addition to being fast, a different thing if fast but not labored, and
                the most urgent emergency would be if there was open-mouthed breathing
                or gasping for breath. In one case I was told just to call the vet for
                guidance before giving any meds, in another case I was told to
                administer an extra dose of Lasix and then call the vet for further
                instruction, and I'm pretty sure that the instruction for open-mouthed
                or gasping breathing was "administer Lasix if possible then transport
                to hospital immediately for IV Lasix."

                If your cat is already on Lasix you should have a supply of that on
                hand, so the thing to do is ask your vet for instructions about how to
                determine if your cat needs an extra dose and how much to administer
                under what circumstances. Then do what I did while Clipsy was
                alive--write that information in large print in decision-tree format,
                and post it somewhere prominent in your home (I had mine on the
                refrigerator) where you can easily find it in a hurry.

                Another thing you probably want to do is ask your vet for a preloaded
                syringe of buprenorphine or something similar, and clear concise
                instructions for how and when to use it. If your cat should throw a
                clot, he will be in excruciating pain. If you have an emergency pain
                shot on hand, you can give him that to relieve the pain while you're
                on the way to the hospital.

                Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
                www.jimsinclair.org
                http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
              • Westgold
                Message 7 of 22 , May 2 10:10 AM
                  Jim, I want to sincerely thank you for staying on this list even after you lost Clipsy. The experience you have is invaluable to others.

                  I keep hoping you will post her photo and memorial on our site http://www.AngelKitties.com -- we'd love to see her, and learn how you met, etc. All kitties are welcome, no matter how long they've been in heaven, and even if they did not have heart disease. My soul-kitty Pooh is there, he died of a brain tumor. Please visit to read about our little angels.

                • Kathleen King
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2 10:51 AM
                    I don't have my instruction sheet any longer since Danny died, but I was actually given that before he had CHF.  I was to use it if he had a sudden change in cardiac symptoms.  I believe it was a way to buy time since I live in the mountains and it is 45 minute to an hour to the emergency vet.  Washington State University mentions it as a possible medication for pets with heart disease, but I have not researched it and I did not used it for Danny.
                    It does dialate the blood vessels and in an emergency can help with both pulmonary edema and pulmonary effusion.

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2 1:41 PM
                      Wow, this sounds like something we all could have on hand. Especially for those whose cats have had fluid on the lungs previously. I hope you have a chance to do a little research on this and its exact uses. Has anyone else been given nitroglycerin for their cats?
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2 1:49 PM
                        We're very fortunate in that there's a 24 hour emergency hospital about 5
                        minutes away.

                        Aside from having emergency meds, here's some things we have on hand for
                        each cat, not just the sick ones:

                        - Binder with copies of all medical records. Bloodwork, rabies
                        vaccinations, even receipts for last vet visit (they often have the
                        animal's weight history). We also have the microchip information in the
                        binder for each cat.

                        - Written record of meds any of them are taking or have taken in the recent
                        past, including supplements. It's very important to note if a cat had an
                        adverse reaction to any of them. One of my kitties has a seizure disorder,
                        and does not react well to phenobarbital. You can tell them, but it helps
                        to have it written down.

                        - I keep a ziplock bag in the medicine cabinet so I can put any meds in it
                        for the relevant cat for the trip to the hospital. This is especially
                        helpful if you do live some distance away -- always bring the meds with
                        you. It's especially important if your cat is getting a compounded med, or
                        a human med, neither of which they may have on hand.

                        Lisa

                      • MKGMT@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2 2:48 PM
                          Wanted to share some good news. My ragdoll, Jazzie (aka Jasmine Rose), was diagnosed with HCM 2 years ago at 4 1/2 years of age. It was mild and thanks to the great ears of my awesome vet, we were sent to a local animal cardiologist for her first echo. She had mild thickening of her heart's walls, but due to her young age and being a purebred (Dr's words) he recommended that we treat her with a small daily dose of atenolol, which we did.

                          Last year's recheck showed a very slight increase in thickening. Yesterday's echo showed a DECREASE in the thickening from her FIRST echo. He said that if she came in today, he would not recommend treatment at this point. But seeing how she improved because of the treatment, we are continuing with the atenolol. Jazzie also lost 3 pounds this year. She was a big ragdoll, but is now much smaller. All her doctors think that she looks awesome. I am very grateful.

                          Melinda

                        • Laurie Stead
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2 5:16 PM
                            Hi Judi,

                            Interesting to read about using butorphenol....   You wrote: "It's for pain and relaxes them also (the Mexican vet said it
                            was like morphine.)" and "put him to sleep".  I recently posted to the group that Boo's cardiologist wants me to give this to her before her next appt to help relax her as she gets very stressed.  The cardiologist used the phrase "to take the edge off" but It sounds much stronger by your description.  Someone in the group had replied that they would be surprised if it did anything of the sort.   Now I am confused by what to expect.  Do you remember the dosage you gave Max?

                            Thanks!
                            Laurie

                            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                            From: joeychloe@...
                            Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 03:46:46 +0000

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 2 8:44 PM
                              Here are a couple of links I have found all talking about giving Nitroglycerin to cats in a CHF emergency:

                              http://maxshouse.com/Cardiology/myocardial_diseases_of_the_cat.htm
                              http://zimmer-foundation.org/sch/ajd.html

                              There appears to be a lot of mention of it's use in cases of acute pulmonary edema, given with lasix when a cat is hospitalized.  There were a couple of PDF's about it too, but I could not always determine how recent articles were written.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 2 10:30 PM
                                Re: nitroprusside

                                > Wow, this sounds like something we all could have on hand. Especially for those whose cats have had fluid on the lungs previously. I hope you have a chance to do a little research on this and its exact uses. Has anyone else been given nitroglycerin for their cats?

                                Some cardiologists don't use it anymore in animals because they think it does not absorb transdermally. If it does absorb transdermally, it can cause a frightening drop in blood pressure -- animals on IV nitroprusside have their BP monitored constantly because its effect on BP can be so strong.

                                Personally, if my cat was in bad enough shape that I thought he needed nitro before we got to the ER, he'd be in bad enough shape that I'd be too nervous about his BP to try it. Cats and dogs in a CHF crisis can be hypotensive and this is life-threatening. I think getting to the ER is the important thing. If you live more than 30 min away, it's good to have a plan, but apart from those cases, just getting there as fast as you can while still being safe is the most important thing.
                              • acrocat@rocketmail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2 10:38 PM
                                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:
                                  > Interesting to read about using butorphenol....   You wrote: "It's for pain and relaxes them also (the Mexican vet said it
                                  > was like morphine.)"

                                  It was I who said that I'd be surprised if butorphanol did anything. It is not like morphine -- it is a weak pain medication. Back in the olden days (5-10 years ago), butorphanol was widely used as a pain medication. Some older-school vets still use it. It is not nearly as effective as other opioids, so everyone needs to make sure their dog or cat is getting more than butorphanol if they are having surgery or in pain for another reason.

                                  Among veterinary anesthesiologists, butorphanol is most used for its sedative effects when used in combination with other medications. Among other vet specialists, it is often used as a cough medication in dogs with chronic cough.

                                  If you are concerned, Laurie, can you just give the butorphanol one day at home and see? Do you have enough for two doses?
                                • Main Moulu
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 3 1:17 AM
                                    ------------------------------

                                  • elfinmyst@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 3 4:36 AM
                                      Hi Melinda

                                      That's really good news and great for Jazzie. Give her a big hug for me and
                                      I think it's good she keeps on the atenolol. Cats caught early seem to do
                                      well on that.

                                      Lyn:)

                                    • Judi Levens
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 3 7:27 AM
                                        Hi: I wonder if maybe I have the name wrong...it's been over a year since Max passed and maybe I am forgetting, but I thought that was the name. What I had came in glass ampules with a needle to administer. The vet in Mexico said that he couldn't even perscribe that drug because it was like Morphine and he didn't have authority to use it. Can you think of something else which sounds similar and would come in that packaging? I had 3 ampules in a package. I know that it knocked Max out...hope I'm not leading you wrong...Judi and Angel Max and Tucker

                                        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: acrocat@...
                                        Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 05:38:19 +0000

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 3 10:54 AM
                                          As I said before - I beleive part of the reason I was given this is because I live so far away from the emergency vet.  The other things is, we knew Danny's BP went up during emergencies.

                                          I think it is really important to know your cat.  I considered the Nitro a life or death situation medication.  I did not use it because I was not in that situation. On the other hand, my brother-in-law found his cat collasped with very labored breathing and cyanotic gums and pads.  I think I would have used it if Danny had been like that.

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 3 11:03 AM
                                            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Joanne Haeussinger <chmiss01@...> wrote:

                                            > I even put Feliway in her carrier. Do any of you have cats that get super nervous when going to the vet, and if so, how do you stop them from having such a reaction?

                                            My Buttercup was like that. She would invariably pant, drool, and
                                            vomit when taken anywhere in the vehicle. Vets always thought she was
                                            acutely ill even when I just took her for routine checkups and
                                            vaccinations.

                                            I eventually learned to spray Feliway on a pad and put it into her
                                            carrier at least half an hour before I put the cat into the carrier
                                            and took her into the vehicle. That 30-60 minutes seemed to make a
                                            huge difference in the effectiveness of the Feliway, so she was
                                            finally able to travel without panic and puking.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 3 11:05 AM
                                              Great advice. My vet also told me that I could give Tigger a double dose of the atenolol before any really stressful event. It is not a sedative, but helps with the heart rhythm. But I wouldn't do this unless my vet approved -- so check with yours ahead of time.