Re: [FH] Martha follow up

  • Cathy Mack
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2012
      Hi Lynda,

      I'm so glad to hear that Martha is hanging in there so well, except for the
      potassium. I've run into vets that have ignored the potassium levels, too, in
      the past. But now I know how important it is to keep it towards the high end of
      normal, and not the low end. Low potassium affects every organ and may also be
      causing her weight loss. There are two types of potassium, one can be measured
      in the blood but the other one in the muscle cannot be measured. So by the time
      the potassium in the blood is at the low end of normal, most likely the
      potassium in the muscle is depleted. This has been told to me by several vets
      now.

      If she's on lasix and peeing a lot, she's disposing of the potassium in her
      system much more rapidly.

      I found out the hard way, when one of my kitties started walking on the "hocks"
      of her back legs, then started hanging her head low too when she walked, and
      didn't want to walk the stairs in the house anymore. Her potassium level was at
      the low end of normal. The vet at the time told me, she must have a
      neurological problem. Switched to another vet, got me started on big doses of
      potassium, and within a week she was perfectly back to normal including running
      up and down the stairs. I did have to supplement her continuously though.

      I'm not sure of any reasons not to supplement more potassium in an HCM kitty, so
      perhaps others here can guide you. One thing though, once you start
      supplementing with potassium, you will also need regular blood panels done to
      make sure she's not getting TOO MUCH. I used to take her in every 6 weeks for
      blood work.

      Hope this helps, and good luck with dear little Martha!

      Cathy