Martha follow up

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2012
      Cardio called today about the labs done yesterday. Martha recently went
      on Lasix and he wants to keep a close eye on her kidney values. They
      were great! Creatnine was still hovering around 1.5 and BUN was 37. Her
      other values were pretty good. I am concerned about potassium, which the
      vet never seems too concerned about. I started her on daily NOW
      Potassium supplement about a month or so ago, but her potassium
      continues to drop. Now it is on the very bottom rung, 3.4, of the
      "normal scale" of 3.4 -5.6. It drops a little bit each time. Since I've
      been giving her 1/8th tsp. NOW consistently, I don't know what else to
      do to bring it up? Or why it continues to drop?

           Her fecal sample was good, nothing there.

           As for the weight loss of 2 pounds in 8 weeks, he can find nothing
      causing it in her blood work and believes it is from the stress of the
      new cat in the household. I can understand that but, if the stress is
      truly that high, where does that leave us with her HCM? We are instructed to avoid stress.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Blessings,
      Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.
      ,

    • Cathy Mack
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2012
        Hi Lynda,

        I'm so glad to hear that Martha is hanging in there so well, except for the
        potassium. I've run into vets that have ignored the potassium levels, too, in
        the past. But now I know how important it is to keep it towards the high end of
        normal, and not the low end. Low potassium affects every organ and may also be
        causing her weight loss. There are two types of potassium, one can be measured
        in the blood but the other one in the muscle cannot be measured. So by the time
        the potassium in the blood is at the low end of normal, most likely the
        potassium in the muscle is depleted. This has been told to me by several vets
        now.

        If she's on lasix and peeing a lot, she's disposing of the potassium in her
        system much more rapidly.

        I found out the hard way, when one of my kitties started walking on the "hocks"
        of her back legs, then started hanging her head low too when she walked, and
        didn't want to walk the stairs in the house anymore. Her potassium level was at
        the low end of normal. The vet at the time told me, she must have a
        neurological problem. Switched to another vet, got me started on big doses of
        potassium, and within a week she was perfectly back to normal including running
        up and down the stairs. I did have to supplement her continuously though.

        I'm not sure of any reasons not to supplement more potassium in an HCM kitty, so
        perhaps others here can guide you. One thing though, once you start
        supplementing with potassium, you will also need regular blood panels done to
        make sure she's not getting TOO MUCH. I used to take her in every 6 weeks for
        blood work.

        Hope this helps, and good luck with dear little Martha!

        Cathy