SubQ fluids + HCM, sub-freezing temps

  • shelleysbuttons
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      I never knew that kitties with heart disease shouldn't get fluids. I
      have been giving Gloria fluids 2-3 times a weekl for 2 years per all
      4 of the vets at the clinic i take Gloria to....does someone have
      medical infor about this. I am also VERY concerned about taking her
      to the vet for a check-up as temp is approx 6 dgrees windchill with 6
      feet of snow..is it too dangerous to take her outside?
    • JettawayFCRs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        In a message dated 1/1/02 11:21:33 AM Central Standard Time,
        shelleysbuttons@... writes:

        > I never knew that kitties with heart disease shouldn't get fluids. I
        > have been giving Gloria fluids 2-3 times a weekl for 2 years per all
        > 4 of the vets at the clinic i take Gloria to....does someone have
        > medical infor about this. I am also VERY concerned about taking her
        > to the vet for a check-up as temp is approx 6 dgrees windchill with 6
        > feet of snow..is it too dangerous to take her outside?

        The danger of giving fluids, likely depends on the condition of the cat and
        the type of heart condition. All I know is that I have always read cats with
        heart conditions should be given fluids only when absolutely necessary, and
        with great caution as it can cause worse problems. This turned out to be
        true in my cats case, unfortunately. I've also heard that subq fluids are
        more dangerous than IV fluids, (with a heart problem) since with an IV, the
        fluids can be more controlled. I'm sure there are people on this list with
        more experience than I have-hopefully, they will try and answer your
        questions as well. Hope this helps.

        As far as the temps.-I would warm the car up for awhile, put the cat in a
        carrier with a blanket and cover the carrier with another blanket.

        Heidi
      • CatWoman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          I don't know if there is a blanket ban on giving subcu fluids to
          a cat with HCM - but with most (if not all?) heart problems, there
          is a problem with fluid build-up, along with the problem of the
          more fluid in the body, the higher the blood pressure (if you
          have trouble having blood samples taken because your blood vessels
          sort of 'disappear', try drinking a *lot* of water just before you
          have the test taken).

          So - if you *are* going to give sub-cu fluids, you should keep
          an eye on the reactions of the cat even more than you would with
          a cat without problems. I would give *half* the usual amount of
          fluids to start with, and I'd be sure the vet has an injectable
          diuretic available (we had to do this with Biscuit, Muffin's
          brother - even though she didn't have his heart problem, when
          we put her on fluids, she wound up with a fluid build-up in her
          chest).

          Diana
        • CatWoman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
            CatWoman wrote:

            > diuretic available (we had to do this with Biscuit, Muffin's
            > brother

            Bad form to do a followup to yourself - but sheesh - I'm starting
            the year out badly!

            Bisc was Muffin's *SISTER*!

            Diana
          • shelley seidman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
              Hi Helen..i always appreciate your insights. Although
              i don't have #'s handy i remembered yesterday that the
              vet said that Gloria's urine tests were more
              indicative of the CRF than the blood..i recall being
              told there was a major prob with her specific gravity.
              The vet's office has been closed because of a massive
              snowstorm..i'm hoping to get some more info tomorrow.

              http://greetings.yahoo.com