Re: [FH] Feliway
- On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM, acrocat@...
>Actually the people on FAIM said the plug-in diffusers are also bad
> I think the Feliway thing got started because it's recommended not to have
> spray products with asthmatic cats. Sometimes these rumors take a life of
> their own! I think that if you're concerned you can use a diffuser plug-in,
> or just spray the room when the cat's not in it.
for asthmatic cats. (Don't ask me why, if you're concerned go join
FAIM and ask there.) I only use the Feliway spray for travel anxiety,
but I do have a DAP diffuser because a couple of my dogs (all rescues)
have separation anxiety. I unplugged the DAP diffuser and put up with
more howling and crate-soiling when the dogs were home alone, until
after the asthmatic cat died. Now I have the DAP diffuser plugged in
again for the dogs, and they don't mess in their crates when left
So to summarize my own experience:
1. Both Feliway spray for cats and DAP diffuser for dogs do seem
effective for anxiety--travel anxiety and motion sickness for cats,
separation anxiety for dogs.
2. People on FAIM recommend against using these products if you have
an asthmatic cat in the home.
3. Other than asthma, I have not heard any concerns about these
products for cats with heart disease or any other health problem.
4. As an asthmatic human, I have not personally noticed my own asthma
symptoms being any worse when the DAP diffuser is plugged in than when
Jim Sinclair jisincla@...