Re: [FH] Feliway

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2012
      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM, acrocat@...
      <acrocat@...> wrote:

      > I think the Feliway thing got started because it's recommended not to have
      > spray products with asthmatic cats. Sometimes these rumors take a life of
      > their own! I think that if you're concerned you can use a diffuser plug-in,
      > or just spray the room when the cat's not in it.

      Actually the people on FAIM said the plug-in diffusers are also bad
      for asthmatic cats. (Don't ask me why, if you're concerned go join
      FAIM and ask there.) I only use the Feliway spray for travel anxiety,
      but I do have a DAP diffuser because a couple of my dogs (all rescues)
      have separation anxiety. I unplugged the DAP diffuser and put up with
      more howling and crate-soiling when the dogs were home alone, until
      after the asthmatic cat died. Now I have the DAP diffuser plugged in
      again for the dogs, and they don't mess in their crates when left
      home.

      So to summarize my own experience:

      1. Both Feliway spray for cats and DAP diffuser for dogs do seem
      effective for anxiety--travel anxiety and motion sickness for cats,
      separation anxiety for dogs.

      2. People on FAIM recommend against using these products if you have
      an asthmatic cat in the home.

      3. Other than asthma, I have not heard any concerns about these
      products for cats with heart disease or any other health problem.

      4. As an asthmatic human, I have not personally noticed my own asthma
      symptoms being any worse when the DAP diffuser is plugged in than when
      it wasn't.

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com