Re: [feline-heart] Differences between atenolol and cardizem?

  • Gayle
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
      Yes Linda,

      I am using the 2.5 mg tabs. Since they are so easy to snap into 2. I think
      I will keep using them, in spite of the cost. I plan on asking the vet to
      write a script, so I can get them cheaper online.

      Thanks for the info!

      Gayle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        I'm sure someone has already answered this and I just missed the response,
        but here goes!

        I don't know anything about cardizem, but I personally am on atenolol. My
        doctor picked this over the other blood pressure medications because it also
        lowers my heart rate. I presume it has the same effect in kitties! My
        doctor did warn that it has a "backlash" effect, and if I decide to go off
        it, I need to watch my pressure carefully. He said that, even though my
        pressure was only slightly high, it was likely to shoot through the roof
        immediately after going off it, and then gradually stabilize. After it
        stabilizes, I will be able to tell if I still need the medication. (He did
        preach against me going off it without his supervision but, knowing how
        gung-ho I get sometimes, he was kind enough to explain what to expect and how
        to deal with it.)

        Hope that helps a little bit!!

        Dana & Tigger (and his brother & sisters, who are just here to support him!)

      • Gayle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2002
          Thank you for the information.!

          Gayle