Differences between atenolol and cardizem?

  • g_dace
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31 12:34 PM
      Hi,

      I was just wondering what the differences between atenolol and
      cardizem are, and why one would be chose over the other?

      My kitty, Sabbath, is currently on 1/4 tab of atenolol and 1/2 tab of
      Norvasc once a day. Her resting heart rate is still up at 160, but
      her blood pressure is down to 138 (yeah!). My regular vet (who I
      took her for for bp recheck) wondered if cardizem might be a better
      choice.

      Please let me know--thank you!!!!

      Happy New Year to all and your precious furbabies!

      Gayle
    • Bill & Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31 3:43 PM
        Hi Gayle,

        You mention 1/2 tab of Norvasc, so I assume you are using 2.5mg tablets.
        The 5mg tablets usually cost the same, and you get twice as much. Some
        vets think they are too hard to cut, but they can be broken easily -- take
        straight edge tweezers, and put the edge across the middle of the pill, and
        then snap off the half of the pill with your other hand. Just repeat for
        quarters.

        Linda

        > I was just wondering what the differences between atenolol and
        > cardizem are, and why one would be chose over the other?
        >
        > My kitty, Sabbath, is currently on 1/4 tab of atenolol and 1/2 tab of
        > Norvasc once a day. Her resting heart rate is still up at 160, but
        > her blood pressure is down to 138 (yeah!). My regular vet (who I
        > took her for for bp recheck) wondered if cardizem might be a better
        > choice.
        >
        > Please let me know--thank you!!!!
        >
        > Happy New Year to all and your precious furbabies!
        >
        > Gayle

      • Gayle
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31 8:37 PM
          Yes Linda,

          I am using the 2.5 mg tabs. Since they are so easy to snap into 2. I think
          I will keep using them, in spite of the cost. I plan on asking the vet to
          write a script, so I can get them cheaper online.

          Thanks for the info!

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Garyandana901@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            I'm sure someone has already answered this and I just missed the response,
            but here goes!

            I don't know anything about cardizem, but I personally am on atenolol. My
            doctor picked this over the other blood pressure medications because it also
            lowers my heart rate. I presume it has the same effect in kitties! My
            doctor did warn that it has a "backlash" effect, and if I decide to go off
            it, I need to watch my pressure carefully. He said that, even though my
            pressure was only slightly high, it was likely to shoot through the roof
            immediately after going off it, and then gradually stabilize. After it
            stabilizes, I will be able to tell if I still need the medication. (He did
            preach against me going off it without his supervision but, knowing how
            gung-ho I get sometimes, he was kind enough to explain what to expect and how
            to deal with it.)

            Hope that helps a little bit!!

            Dana & Tigger (and his brother & sisters, who are just here to support him!)

          • Gayle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2002
              Thank you for the information.!

              Gayle