RE: [feline-heart] Diltiazem/enacard

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2000

      I have heard the answer to this before, but can never remember the details.
      I do recall that they act in very different manners. Post to
      alt.med.veterinary ... I'll bet you have an answer very quickly.

      > My 16yr old Chloe did really well on Enacard
      > for 2.5 mos. along with his 5 mg mg Lasix. I had to switch vets and
      > then his chest filled up again and he decided to switch him to
      > Diltiazem instead of the Enacard and double his Lasix. Since then,
      > (two weeks) he has been tapped two times and not looking very well at
      > all. Im afraid this is going to be it. Im getting so I don't think
      > the vets around here even know what they are doing. I was thinking
      > that I should put him back on his Enacard. What do you guys think??
      > Very desperite. He's not eating either. Also on baby aspirin every
      > three days

      Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Chloe. I will say an extra prayer for her
      tonight.

      Personally, I wouldn't switch meds without checking with the vet.

      Is your vet working with a feline cardiologist?

      --
      JR
      & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2000
        Dom was just put on Vasotec (generic of Enacard)this past month. He
        was taking Dilitizem for 6 months now. His cardiologist explained to
        us that the dilitizem was to keep the heart walls from farther
        thickening. After 6 months on this, his ultrasound showed that the
        measurement was the exact same thing as before. So,it is working for
        him. He then said we would add the Vasotec to keep the heart from
        getting stiff. He said that he has seen many cats that show
        improvement when the Vasotec is added. I know this doesn't totally
        answer your question but that has been my experience with these 2
        drugs that we are using.

        I am sorry to hear that Chloe isn't doing well. Do you have a
        cardiologist to call?I know ours is an hour drive from home but my
        regular vet always has me check with him if I have any questions or
        if there is the slightest problem with Dom. They do run the blood
        tests and do checkups etc. and send the results to him.

        Good luck,
        Jeanne & Dom

        --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
      • brunobaby@accesshub.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2000
          Jeanne Warner wrote:

          >He then said we would add the Vasotec to keep the heart from
          >getting stiff. He said that he has seen many cats that show
          >improvement when the Vasotec is added.

          My vet, who works closely with a cardiologist, said that Vasotec "cuts" the
          communication between the heart and the kidneys. Meaning that the kidneys
          normally say "more blood!" so the heart pumps harder to give the kidneys
          more blood. Vasotec/Enacard intercepts the message to lessen the strain on
          the heart, but could be bad for the kidneys, which is why cats on Vasotec
          have to keep having their kidneys tested.

          Pongo's been on Vasotec for a month now, and is going for a kidney test on
          Saturday, so I'm typing with crossed fingers. <G>

          --Melinda
        • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2000
            my vet doesn't like to use diltiazem, prefers atenolol, swears by it!

            zayfodbb@... wrote:

            > In several cats, I have had pretty good success with enacard. The
            > one cat we had on dilitiazem did very poorly on it. None of the vets
            > here know much either :(
            >
            > MJ
            >
            > --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
            > wrote:
            > > I don't know if this is posting two times. Sorry if it does. My
            > > question is can anyone tell me exactly what the difference between
            > > Enacard & Diltiazem is? My 16yr old Chloe did really well on
            > Enacard
            > > for 2.5 mos. along with his 5 mg mg Lasix. I had to switch vets
            > and
            > > then his chest filled up again and he decided to switch him to
            > > Diltiazem instead of the Enacard and double his Lasix. Since then,
            > > (two weeks) he has been tapped two times and not looking very well
            > at
            > > all. Im afraid this is going to be it. Im getting so I don't think
            > > the vets around here even know what they are doing. I was thinking
            > > that I should put him back on his Enacard. What do you guys think??
            > > Very desperite. He's not eating either. Also on baby aspirin
            > every
            > > three days. Thanks for listening, Kathie & My Chloe

          • Jill
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12 7:57 AM
              I just cut my cat down from 30mg/day diltiazem down to 15. I can't
              pill him, so I have it compounded. It has to be in a suspension, so
              it's very thick. He hates it and often pukes it up.

              He started out last December on 60mg/day and it made him so sick I
              thought it was time to put him down. I spared him his diltiazem dose
              on his "last day" and when I came home to take him for euthanasia, he
              was himself again.

              Thanks for the tip about atenolol. I have an appt. to take Ollie for
              a blood test on the 29th and I'll ask the vet about it. He has a
              cardiologist he consults with.

              Jill

              --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, Miguel &Linda Irrgang <irrgang@r...>
              wrote:
              > my vet doesn't like to use diltiazem, prefers atenolol, swears by
              it!

              > zayfodbb@a... wrote:
              >
              > > In several cats, I have had pretty good success with enacard. The
              > > one cat we had on dilitiazem did very poorly on it. None of the
              vets
              > > here know much either :(
              > >
              > > MJ
              > >
              > > --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Kathie Ricci" <kricci1234@a...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > I don't know if this is posting two times. Sorry if it does.
              My
              > > > question is can anyone tell me exactly what the difference
              between
              > > > Enacard & Diltiazem is? My 16yr old Chloe did really well on
              > > Enacard
              > > > for 2.5 mos. along with his 5 mg mg Lasix. I had to switch vets
              > > and
              > > > then his chest filled up again and he decided to switch him to
              > > > Diltiazem instead of the Enacard and double his Lasix. Since
              then,
              > > > (two weeks) he has been tapped two times and not looking very
              well
              > > at
              > > > all. Im afraid this is going to be it. Im getting so I don't
              think
              > > > the vets around here even know what they are doing. I was
              thinking
              > > > that I should put him back on his Enacard. What do you guys
              think??
              > > > Very desperite. He's not eating either. Also on baby aspirin
              > > every
              > > > three days. Thanks for listening, Kathie & My Chloe

              > > The Crocodile Hunter is back for a week of mayhem in the muck!
              Tune in June