Sauce Update and Milli

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
      Hey all

      Sauce PCV is up to 22 today (from 8) and she is being treated with steroids
      which has stopped the bleeding in her gut. She is brighter, grumpier and
      eating like a horse! Thankyou to all who offered support when she was
      poorly. It now seems she has a severe IBD that caused the bleeding.

      Milli has got worse. Her breathing rate was 60 this morning and she went to
      the vet. Her heart is pumping too fast and hard and could be felt in her
      pulse. Her lungs sounded clear. Milli has two large holes in her heart
      connecting all four chambers and valve deformities. She has fortekor, spiro and
      vetmedin and nattokinase. Her vetmedin has been doubled to 1 tablet twice a
      day for two weeks, then we can up the fortekor and spiro and start
      digoxin, lots of options. She is also to take a 1/4 lasix at night.

      Milli was given a few years to live at the very most when she was a baby.
      She is six this August. Every day is a bonus for Milli, two of her siblings
      had heart disease as well. She also survived a vaccination tumour being
      removed from her neck and a punctured ear drum. I`ll let you all know if the
      medication helps and what is happening with Milli.

      Lyn:)

    • Kathleen King
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
        Hi Lyn,

        I am so sorry to hear about Milli.  She is in our prayers.

        I have a cat with severe IBD as well. Brody started with IBD when he was 5 months old.  He also has severe allergies to some food products and some medicine.  I almost lost him several times as a kitten and he has had anaphylatic reactions more than once.  He currently eats only grain free both canned and dry.  Even then I need to be careful because he got really sick on food with tapioca starch and this is in some canned foods.  He is currently 3 1/2 and doing well.

        He was on daily prednisolone for a while and I hated giving that to him especially at such a young age.

        I ended up taking Brody to a veterinary acupuncturist.  This did wonders for him.  He had acupuncture regularly for about 3 months then we cut it back.  He is now on an "as needed" basis and has currently gone 6 months without problems.

        He gets daily probiotics (I use Proviable capsules and he loves them) and an herbal suppliment the acupucture doctor gave me called Immune Support - it is a veterinary suppliment.   My regular vet does not want to completely stop the prednisolone so we all agreed that he will get 5 mg every 3 or 4 days.  I am thinking about adding some digestive enzymes to his food, but have not fully researched that yet.  My regular vet recommended it but the only ones she had on hand were in a lactose base and I would not take a chance on that with his IBD.

        Hope Sauce does well.

        Kathy and Kitty Kids

      • s.theye
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
          Hi Lyn,

          My slow brain just made the connection that your Milli is not feeling well today.
          I will think good thoughts for her. She sounds like a tough little girl with a lot
          of spirit. I hope she is feeling better soon.

          Shelley

          > Hey all
          >
          > Sauce PCV is up to 22 today (from 8) and she is being treated with steroids
          > which has stopped the bleeding in her gut. She is brighter, grumpier and
          > eating like a horse! Thankyou to all who offered support when she was
          > poorly. It now seems she has a severe IBD that caused the bleeding.
          >
          > Milli has got worse. Her breathing rate was 60 this morning and she went to
          > the vet. Her heart is pumping too fast and hard and could be felt in her
          > pulse. Her lungs sounded clear. Milli has two large holes in her heart
          > connecting all four chambers and valve deformities. She has fortekor, spiro and
          > vetmedin and nattokinase. Her vetmedin has been doubled to 1 tablet twice a
          > day for two weeks, then we can up the fortekor and spiro and start
          > digoxin, lots of options. She is also to take a 1/4 lasix at night.
          >
          > Milli was given a few years to live at the very most when she was a baby.
          > She is six this August. Every day is a bonus for Milli, two of her siblings
          > had heart disease as well. She also survived a vaccination tumour being
          > removed from her neck and a punctured ear drum. I`ll let you all know if the
          > medication helps and what is happening with Milli.
          >
          > Lyn:)

        • Mandy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
            Hi Lyn

            Nice to hear Sauce if feeling brighter, keeping everything here crossed for Milli in the hope her incresed medication helps her, Milli is such a though cookie and is a big inspiration to myself, since my own cat was diagnosed with HCM.

            Mandy