Re: [FH] Great news for Mystro; many things ruled out by new vet!! No CHF or Asthma!

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
      Hi -- this is great news! She will lose weight if you switch to all canned with some extra water added. The carbs in the dry food is what is making our kitties fat. Put out all-canned all the time so she can nibble whenever she wants, you will see the weight start to drop off. Let her have as much as she wants. Fancy Feast, Friskies, canned Whiskas, all are good -- just don't get anything with gluten. We want as few carbs as possible, and anything with gravy, etc is loaded with carbs from the gluten.

      I also had to get rid of litter because of the dust. I trained my kitties to go on newspapers in their boxes. I have written out the method to switch them over, let me know if anybody wants it. That dust is not good for man nor beast. And even the kinds that say they have no dust -- they all have dust. There's an inch of dust in the bottom of the Yesterday's News bags. It's paper dust, but it's still dust!!
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
        great -- she will start to lose weight without losing muscle on a high-protein low-carb diet. You're lucky she didn't get diabetes. But you still need to keep an eye on that. I also regrettedly let one of my cats get over 20 lbs back in the 90s, it just seemed to happen so fast I didn't even really notice it until one day. I put him on a diet, but after losing 4 lbs he became diabetic. So keep an eye on water intake, water outgo, etc. She may still have thyroid issues, you'll just have to see.

        Thank you so much for replying! The vet still totally disagrees about wet food, and insists that dry is better. None of these back woods vets are current on the new canned food diets. I realize looking back that cats that eat all canned food azre the fattest. I have to take the wheel on the diet, and give her canned diet.

        There is still one thing yet he has to rule out, and that's thyroid issues. That would also explain no weight loss. And I have a confession to make. I've been giving her the group's recommenced wet food diet for a week now, and we'll see how this works.

        I thank you much.

        Thanks again, hugs from j and m
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi Jackie

          That's fantastic and now you have something to work with. Mystro can have
          special diet food and you can weigh out the biscuits for each day's ration:)
          That's how my 8kg cat became a 6.3kg cat over 8 months or so:) Cats can't
          lose weight quickly, they need to have a special diet food and the exact
          amount recommended for their weight each day.

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hi -- I hope nobody here is still feeding dry foods. Cats are obligate carnivores, and need almost all protein. Dry foods are very heavy on the carbs, and this is why most cats who eat dry foods gain weight. I wish everybody would put their kitties on canned food with extra water added -- this will give them the protein they need to keep up their strength, and also help clear their kidneys.

            I asked once on the felinediabetes list what people were feeding their kitties when they became diabetic -- and it was overwhelmingly the Iams Less Active dry or the SD dry Reducing diet. The reducing diets actually have MORE CARBS than regular dry foods. If you feed your cat high-protein and low-carb, he will lose weight naturally without losing muscle mass -- and it will give him strength to fight this disease. You can feed as much as he wants, let him nibble all the time. You don't have to limit the amount or deprive him when you feed canned. Just feeding a few dry kibbles everyday is not much food, and not what they need. Start feeding any name-brand canned food, as long as it doesn't contain gluten.

            take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too (who LOVES his Friskies!)

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
              The main issue with dry foods isn't so much the lack of protein and high carb content, as there are many dry foods that have high protein counts, comparable of wet foods.  The issue is the lack of moisture, which usually runs ~8% in dry food versus ~78% in wet food.

              Ryan

            • Toby Jones
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                Prescribing a diet for a cat without actually monitoring their weight gain/loss is like you recommending me a diet over the internet, without knowing anything about me.  I weigh each of my cats' meals, every meal, and I weigh each of them daily and log their weight.  Kinda weird, but it gives me something to do.  My 6 pound 10 ounce female Singapura needs approximately two ounces of wet food per day, twice a day (approx 160 cals total).  My 8 pound 14 ounce female Bengal needs 2.2 ounces of wet food twice per day; she gains weight with 2.5 ounces, and loses with 2.0 ounces.  My 7 pound 15 ounce Bengal kitten boy eats around 7+ ounces per day and is solid muscle.

                I don't really know what my point is other than if you want to help your kitty safely lose weight, you need to have a baby scale and a food scale and monitor their weight.  And don't feed a junky wet food.  And shoot for ~3% loss of body weight per month.  Anything more can put your cat at risk of hepatic lipidosis.

                Ryan

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Well it is the high carbs causing the weight gain -- but you're right on the other point. My vet feels that dry food sucks the fluids out of the cat -- he says that a cat can never possibly drink enough water to replace all the fluids that are sucked up by the dry foods as they pass through the body. This of course puts extra strain on the kidneys.

                  I am also very active on the felinediabetes group where I have helped many kitties achieve what I did with my cat after he was diabetic on insulin for 4 years -- with an all-canned diet we've been able to get our cats off insulin. Or at least greatly reduce the amount of insulin needed, which reduces complications. A few years ago when Evo came out with that new dry food that was supposed to be higher protein, a lot of people tried it. They were happy to be able to feed their kitties dry again, etc. However, within just a couple weeks they had to stop feeding Evo and go back to the canned. Several kitties who were totally off insulin started needing it again after just a couple weeks on the evo -- and some who were on a reduced amount of insulin on canned had to up the insulin when they went on Evo. So although Evo "might" be the highest-protein dry food, it is still not enough for cats, who are obligate carnivores, that means they should eat only meat.

                  I believe that our heart kitties deserve the best possible food, to keep their strength up -- and that is what they were created to eat -- MEAT. No grains, no vegetables, no fruit, no corn, no gluten, etc. MEAT.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                    That's good news!

                    I see you've received lots of advice on how to feed Mystro. Here's a little guide to add to the mix :-)

                    http://dels-old.nas.edu/dels/rpt_briefs/cat_nutrition_final.pdf

                    You'll want her to get everything she needs, but a little less calories each day, so she'll loose weight slowly and safely. I actually think it might be easier with canned food. The amount of dry per day is quite restricted and she might not be a happy cat. There's quite nothing like a kitty on a diet begging for more food to make one feel like a "criminal".

                    Henna & Angel Leo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                      So very happy to hear that.. i still can't believe the vet who gave your cat such a high dose of lasix...
                      Wow.

                      But good news at the end..
                      :)

                      Sent via Banu's iPod touch

                      On Apr 3, 2012, at 19:52, "Jackie" <jboynton@...> wrote:

                      > I finally took mystro to a third vet, who gave me the right diagnosis. She does NOT have CHF, She does Not have respiratory disease. She is way TOO fat, despite diet. She is NOT diabetic!! He felt the litter was causing both of us to cough, lol.
                      >
                      > So, since the diets prescribed by former vets have always been "no more than 2/3 cup of dry food a day, anything's fine." My new and permanent vet is checking thyroid to see if that might causing her to continue gaining weight, despite special diet last vet gave me.
                      >
                      > Great news all around, thyroid test results tomorrow. I now have enough enalapril and furosemide to treat a cat with real heart disease for a year. But she doesn't need them, so I don't even care that they cost a fortune. Actually, I am very close to needing both of them if my heart doesn't get better, and my BP continues to rise.
                      >
                      > For the first time in many months, I now am able to think straight, and my panic is subsiding. I knew the cat didn't need those pills, she wasn't having the symptoms that your FH or FA kittys do. Mystro and I are blessed. I hope I can stll be a part of this group, becase she might just get CHF. And I contiue to learn about many other things here.
                      >
                      > Peace to all, love jackie and fat mystro. No more pilling, yay!!!! Unless the thyroid tests are funky. But no CHF, such a miracle
                      >

                      > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
                      > What Mega Millions winners should do
                      > Privacy Policy

                    • Vicky
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2012
                        The guide is copyright 2006 and seems very outdated. While some of the
                        charts may be accurate, I seriously question many of the conclusions
                        it makes about what to feed cats. When a scientific publication states
                        that the cat has a short intestine, yet can't conclude that
                        carbohydrates and fiber are bad, I would not recommend any of their
                        guidelines. They even mention the false assumption that fiber helps
                        control blood glucose. Fiber in the form of grains or plant products
                        contribute to hyperglycemia by adding carbohydrates. The pamphlet even
                        says, "Because cats are carnivores, the short length of their long
                        intestines limits their ability to ferment fibers that are found in
                        many carbohydrates."
                        So why even suggest that cats need carbohydrates and fiber???

                        If anyone wants to learn what to appropriately feed cats, please go to
                        catinfo.org. Written and maintained by a licensed veterinarian with
                        decades of feline experince, Dr. Pierson explains in a no nonsense
                        fashion why cats need to eat meat or at least good quality canned
                        food. The examples she gives from her own experiences are helpful
                        explanations. Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins also wrote a very good book
                        called "Your Cat." There are several other vets online, Dr. Hofke is
                        one, Dr. Zoran is another, who repeat over and over again that cats
                        are obligate carnivores, which means they should eat meat only.

                        After feeding Hill's Science Diet "Hairball Control" to my magnificent
                        Nebelung kitty Gandalf for several years, he became diabetic. I
                        learned a lot about what is best for cats because of that horrible
                        disease, and I hope to help others avoid the heartbreak.

                        Vicky

                        On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Leo Wempu wrote:

                        > That's good news!
                        >
                        > I see you've received lots of advice on how to feed Mystro. Here's a
                        > little guide to add to the mix :-)
                        >
                        > http://dels-old.nas.edu/dels/rpt_briefs/cat_nutrition_final.pdf
                        >
                        > You'll want her to get everything she needs, but a little less
                        > calories each day, so she'll loose weight slowly and safely. I
                        > actually think it might be easier with canned food. The amount of
                        > dry per day is quite restricted and she might not be a happy cat.
                        > There's quite nothing like a kitty on a diet begging for more food
                        > to make one feel like a "criminal".
                        >
                        > Henna & Angel Leo
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Jim Sinclair
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2012
                          On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Vicky <zhrbjn@...> wrote:

                          > If anyone wants to learn what to appropriately feed cats, please go to
                          > catinfo.org. Written and maintained by a licensed veterinarian with
                          > decades of feline experince, Dr. Pierson explains in a no nonsense
                          > fashion why cats need to eat meat or at least good quality canned
                          > food. The examples she gives from her own experiences are helpful
                          > explanations. Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins also wrote a very good book
                          > called "Your Cat." There are several other vets online, Dr. Hofke is
                          > one, Dr. Zoran is another, who repeat over and over again that cats
                          > are obligate carnivores, which means they should eat meat only.

                          Fortunately my vegetarian cats have not read those articles.....

                          There *is* a well established (since 1986) veterinarian-approved vegan
                          diet formulation for cats. See www.vegepet.com and download the book
                          for more information.

                          Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
                          www.jimsinclair.org
                          http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
                        • Leo Wempu
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2012
                            You are entitled to have your opinion :-).

                            One thing I find puzzling is the need to categorize everything as either all "good" or all "bad". Too much of anything, as well as too little, can be bad. Rare things are either completely bad or completely good in essence. Think of drugs for example. The right amount can save a life, too much can kill and too little be ineffective.

                            Also, what's best for your cat may not be best for your neighbour's cat. The guide didn't say your kitty needs to eat carbohydrates. If you read it, it said carbohydrates are not essential but provide energy. That energy might come in handy for an underweight CRF kitty, who can't handle loads of protein for example. Talking about CRF, many CRF kitties eat pumpkin for constipation. Would you like to deny them their pumpkin, because fiber is supposedly "bad"?

                            If I may ask, a little respect for other people's choices. Choices that may work for them and their kitties.

                            I'm sorry to hear about your Gandalf's health problem.

                            Henna