Re: [FH] Re: Purring. Good or bad for him?

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
      When Tigger was diagnosed with HCM at 6 months of age, I was terrified to play with him. I was afraid I'd give him a little kitty heart attack. But I have a very wise vet. He said kitties are "here for a good time, not a long time -- so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday" -- I hope you all know that song. Tigger doesn't know he's sick, he just wants to enjoy life. So we play and run a little everyday, the exercise is actually good for him. He's 6 1/2 now, and you can't even tell he's sick. Now he is slowing down a bit, and I wish he wanted to play more! Please let your kitties purr and run and play, whatever they want to do -- do not stop them from playing unless you see open-mouthed or labored breathing. Stop immediately if that happens.

      The worst thing you can do is hover over your kitty and try to keep him in bubble wrap. He will sense your anxiety and that will upset him -- you know how tuned in they are to our moods and feelings. Just do everything normally, just keep an eye on the breathing.