[FH] Re: Tricks on giving Taurine

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
      I was told by Boo's cardio low Taurine can cause HCM... have you always fed your cat rabbit with no Taurine supplement?  You may want to have a blood test done to check the level of Taurine. If low and you start supplementing, you may be able to stop HCM from progressing!

      Laurie and Boo

      From: acrocat@... <acrocat@...>
      Subject: [FH] Re: Tricks on giving Taurine
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 3:14 AM

      Hi

      I assume you're grinding the entire rabbit at home? Are you mixing the taurine in at that point, and he still won't eat it? I wonder if Dr. Pierson could help you out ( catinfo.org ) as she has a rabbit recipe on her site and adds taurine. Her email address is on there and although she does paid consulting, she might respond to a quick, brief question. Do let us know if she has any additional ideas, if you contact her.

      Adriann

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
        Hi Laurie

        It's DCM that's associated with low taurine, not HCM. I wish there were a deficiency associated with HCM so then we'd have a chance to cure it in our kitties :(

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
          Perhaps I don't understand correctly but isn't DCM just a worsened case of HCM?  Sorry for being so "green" ;-)

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
            No.
            http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/11215.htm

            Henna & Angel Leo

            ________________________________
            Perhaps I don't understand correctly but isn't DCM just a worsened case of HCM?  Sorry for being so "green" ;-)

          • Banu Korgul
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
              No. Dcm is dilated cardiomyopathy..

              There are 3 kinds of cardiomyopathies
              1. HCM
              2. DCM
              3. Restricted cardiomyopathy

              DCM was more common in the old days due to lack of taurine. Now that dry and wet food companies incitse it in the firmula, its less common.. ( unfortunately my Aslan has DCM)

              Thanks

              Sent via Banu's iPod touch

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
                Thank you for the link, Henna.  Wow the prognosis is 2wks for cats with DCM.  Further proof every cat is different.... Boo is going on 5mos since she was diagnosed.  I am so thankful.