Purring. Good or bad for him?

  • Banukorgul
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hello all..

      Aslan, my crf and dilated cardiomyopathy rescue cat (10,15+ yrs) had fluid in lungs or abdomen.. He is being treated..

      But when he eats a favorite food or when he is petted, sometimes he purrs..

      Especially when he gets lost ( got blinder) and finds me awake at 4am he feels safe i guess, gets happy and purrs..

      But it lasts for half an hour, an hour or even more at times..

      And his breathing gets worse.. So thats the short term effect.. Plus İ am afraid his heart will worn out and make a bad long term effect..

      İ poke his nose, even imitate a pill in my hand and try to make him stop.. Lately i discovered he hates mint, so i make him smell mint in order to stop him.. As 5am today mint does not work either..

      İ looked at him and he seems worn out , old , sick, blinder.. Him purring means something, i thought. İt means even he looks bad, he is still enjoying??? Or is it that he starts purring because he is happy at that instant, and forgets to stop and continues??

      What do i do? What do you do?

      Thanks
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
        Hi

        I always let my cats purr. It is a sign of pleasure and happiness and I
        wouldn't deny them that, even if it does raise their respiratory rate for a
        while. Cats are calmed and comforted by purring and it is natural. Stopping
        him maybe causing him a little bit of distress as well.

        Purring can be caused when a cat is in pain, but if he is purring in
        response to you that's a sign of pleasure. It's balancing giving them a normal
        life with the heart disease, but I always try to allow mine as normal a life
        as possible. They don't know they're sick and he might start getting
        distressed that every time he is happy you are making him smell mint. He won't
        understand that.

        :) Lyn

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
          Purring is how a cat shows he/she is happy and content, it can also be used at times to help comfort them when they are ill.  I am not a vet, but I would think purring should be allowed.  Purring is natural and I would not try to get him to stop.  That could cause him more stress.  The main thing I have been told to beat this disease beyond the obvious meds is to keep the cat as stress free as possible.  Introducing something negative while the cat is being comforted through purring is not good.  Instead, I would try to enjoy those moments.  I understand the worry but really it won't help kitty in the end.

          Good luck!
          Laurie and Boo

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
            If Aslan is purring for joy, let him purr.

            When I questioned if I should let Gump play with his toys, someone asked if I would take toys away from a terminally ill child as not to over-excite them - I realized how cruel that sounded.

            My Dad had lung cancer. Toward the end of his life, we had some great conversations that often led to serious laughter. Even with coughing and choking, I could see the light in my Dad's eyes.

            Personally - I'd rather die laughing than of boredom.

            Carol
          • Haranna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
              Beautiful, Carol!

              Joy Ann

              In a message dated 4/3/2012 10:54:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              keycmv@... writes:

              If Aslan is purring for joy, let him purr.

              When I questioned if I should let Gump play with his toys, someone asked
              if I would take toys away from a terminally ill child as not to over-excite
              them - I realized how cruel that sounded.

              My Dad had lung cancer. Toward the end of his life, we had some great
              conversations that often led to serious laughter. Even with coughing and
              choking, I could see the light in my Dad's eyes.

              Personally - I'd rather die laughing than of boredom.

              Carol

            • Westgold
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
                When Tigger was diagnosed with HCM at 6 months of age, I was terrified to play with him. I was afraid I'd give him a little kitty heart attack. But I have a very wise vet. He said kitties are "here for a good time, not a long time -- so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday" -- I hope you all know that song. Tigger doesn't know he's sick, he just wants to enjoy life. So we play and run a little everyday, the exercise is actually good for him. He's 6 1/2 now, and you can't even tell he's sick. Now he is slowing down a bit, and I wish he wanted to play more! Please let your kitties purr and run and play, whatever they want to do -- do not stop them from playing unless you see open-mouthed or labored breathing. Stop immediately if that happens.

                The worst thing you can do is hover over your kitty and try to keep him in bubble wrap. He will sense your anxiety and that will upset him -- you know how tuned in they are to our moods and feelings. Just do everything normally, just keep an eye on the breathing.