Re: Tricks on giving Taurine

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
      Hi

      I assume you're grinding the entire rabbit at home? Are you mixing the taurine in at that point, and he still won't eat it? I wonder if Dr. Pierson could help you out ( catinfo.org ) as she has a rabbit recipe on her site and adds taurine. Her email address is on there and although she does paid consulting, she might respond to a quick, brief question. Do let us know if she has any additional ideas, if you contact her.

      Adriann

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "harris.rose@..." <harris.rose@...> wrote:

      > I have an HCM cat that just recently I've started giving taurine.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
        I was told by Boo's cardio low Taurine can cause HCM... have you always fed your cat rabbit with no Taurine supplement?  You may want to have a blood test done to check the level of Taurine. If low and you start supplementing, you may be able to stop HCM from progressing!

        Laurie and Boo

        From: acrocat@... <acrocat@...>
        Subject: [FH] Re: Tricks on giving Taurine
        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 3:14 AM

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi Laurie

          It's DCM that's associated with low taurine, not HCM. I wish there were a deficiency associated with HCM so then we'd have a chance to cure it in our kitties :(

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
            Perhaps I don't understand correctly but isn't DCM just a worsened case of HCM?  Sorry for being so "green" ;-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
              No.
              http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/11215.htm

              Henna & Angel Leo

              ________________________________
              Perhaps I don't understand correctly but isn't DCM just a worsened case of HCM?  Sorry for being so "green" ;-)

            • Banu Korgul
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
                No. Dcm is dilated cardiomyopathy..

                There are 3 kinds of cardiomyopathies
                1. HCM
                2. DCM
                3. Restricted cardiomyopathy

                DCM was more common in the old days due to lack of taurine. Now that dry and wet food companies incitse it in the firmula, its less common.. ( unfortunately my Aslan has DCM)

                Thanks

                Sent via Banu's iPod touch

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Thank you for the link, Henna.  Wow the prognosis is 2wks for cats with DCM.  Further proof every cat is different.... Boo is going on 5mos since she was diagnosed.  I am so thankful.