I'm new Raja has chf, rcm & crf

  • karen102893
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi does anyone else have a kitty balancing chf due to restrictive cardiomyopathy and crf? Raja also has ibd and as of this month anemia which we just started aranesp last Wednesday. We are hoping if the anemia gets better and helps the heart we can back down on the lasix which is destroying his kidneys. Thanks Karen
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hannah has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, CRF and hypertension

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi karen

          It is always difficult to balance these conditions but you are absolutely
          right that the heart is priority to get the fluid off the lungs. You can
          always ask about a combination of diuretic like lasix/spironolactone as spiro
          is kinder to the kidneys and may help reduce the lasix dose. But some
          kitties need their lasix and you are right that anaemia can cause secondary HCM
          so treating that may help the heart.

          It's a balancing act I face daily with Josh (HCM/CRF/hyperthyroid) and the
          lasix he needs when his heart is bad affects his kidneys. I don't give
          fluids to him.

          Fortekor helps both the heart and kidneys so it would help if he could take
          that .

        • tafoster4000
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hi
            My Moe was diagnosed with severe restrictive cardiomyopathy a month ago after going into CHF when he got subq fluids at the vets. He had just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and since he wasn't eating that well, vet gave him some fluids on a Monday and Thursday. By the next Tuesday he was in CHF and ended up in ER which is a specialty clinic with a great cardiology department. After pulling 100mls from his pleural cavity, he got an ECHO and that is when the RCM was found. Probably had it for awhile but he had no symptoms.

            He was put on lasix along with Felimazole for his hyperT. The lasix had to be increased the next week since fluids were building up again. And pimobendan was added. Vet was going to add enalapril but his blood pressure was too low. Also added potassium since that was going down.

            He does have mild CRF, last blood a week ago showed BUN of 44 (up from 36) with creatinine of 2.1, actually down from 2.4 two weeks before. He is not on a renal diet, grain free canned food along with ALOH added to keep phosphorus down.

            At his cardiology appt last Tuesday, vet was super pleased with how he is doing. Lungs clear and heart is beating strong without the missing beats. His BP was now 140 but she is still hanging off on the enalapril. Follow up in 4 weeks.

            I did ask about lowering the lasix dose, he is on 12.5mg twice a day (Moe is 8lbs) but with the degree of heart damage, was told probably could not decrease the lasix. But did say if kidneys start to get worse, could drop the lasix down and add spiro. But for now just continue. She thinks the pimobendan is making a good difference. He gets 1.25mg twice a day.

            On fluids, I just add lots of water to his canned food three times a day along with what he drinks, he is staying hydrated.

            Taca

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2012
              Forgot to add Moe was anemic when he ended up in ER. Two weeks before his HCT was 40%, it had dropped down to 27% during the CHF crisis. A week later it was up to 34% and was 38% a week ago. Only thing I did was start sprinkling on some b vitamins. But do think it was due to his CHF episode, his body was starting to shut down but vet really didn't have an answer. I'm just glad it came back up.

              Taca