Re: [FH] Thor's visit with the Holistic Vet -- question on raw diet

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012
      Hi Henna

      Not so off-topic, as heart kitties need to stay hydrated and not overhydrated.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Leo Wempu <leowempu@...> wrote:

      > Oh my, here we go off topic again :-).
      >
      > Yes, I agree that they on average are not as well hydrated as cats eating canned or raw. There is a little individual variation I'm sure, because some cats just drink more than others even on the same diet (that's my personal experience). Can it be said that all cats on a dry diet are dehydrated though (where does dehydration begin, at which point does it become relevant for kidney health) and what's it's significance in terms of developing CKD?

      If we judge by having very high urine specific gravity, then yes it seems that cats on dry food may be mildly chronically dehydrated. No one can make a link to CKD directly -- you'd have to have cats in studies for 12-14 years but it stands to reason that organs are healthiest in animals who are normally hydrated. Cats with FLUTD are classically dry-food-fed obese males. Diluting the urine means they have less chance to make the crystal plugs which cause blockages.

      I think that cats may be much more forgiving of lower water intake than some other mammals, but I do think they are best on a low carb wet diet.

      >I still haven't found a food that would guarantee no CKD in the future and that includes raw.

      You'll be a millionaire if you do :)

      > As you know, I have a kitty on completely wet food (and very wet food at that), who has a very high USG. She just won't drink.

      Before my cat developed CKD, he didn't drink at all. He got canned food with a fair amount of extra water and didn't need more (he was never clinically dehydrated).

      >It confuses me to read about drinking water straining the kidneys. Surely water is good for her, whether it comes from a drinking bowl or a food bowl?

      I agree.