Re: [FH] New member, introducing my baby Osiris

  • Toby Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 28, 2012
      Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as recommending "blindly" medicating.  My recommendations were based on the OP's comments:

      1. She had researched and found HCM was "prevalent" in her cats lineage.  Based on what we know, if HCM was present in either or both parents, it would be a statistical likelihood that her cat had it as well.

      2. Her veterinarian suspected HCM based on his evaluation.
      3. And perhaps most importantly, IF she was faced with the dichotomy of paying for medication or an echo, and could only pick ONE, armed with the above knowledge of her cats SPECIFIC lineage and health history, I would personally choose going with a safe dosage of Atenolol/Benazepril/Plavix; I have not found any research showing that these medications can cause further heart damage when used in commonly prescribed dosages (not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't been able to find any).  Again, this is based only on if you could only have EITHER an echo or meds, and you had the above knowledge about your cats lineage.  Fortunately it sounds like OP will not be placed in this position.

      Hope that makes sense.

      Ryan