Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd: human cancer cream toxicity O.T. but important information

Expand Messages
  • mmayer11@aol.com
    I got permission to cross-post this, and thought everyone would like to take note of it for their animals... Marianna - Subject: Re: human cancer cream
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I got permission to cross-post this, and thought everyone would like to take note of it for their animals...



      Marianna




      -


      Subject: Re: human cancer cream toxicity --- important information



      I have had 4 basal cell carcinomas removed from my nose, the last on Dec. 6, 2011. Prior to that surgery, I was prescribed Carac cream and told to use it for 3 weeks on the entire nose surface. There was no mention of toxicity to animals, and this information is not in the drug information sheet, either. After the surgery, the MOHS surgeon said I should try the stronger cream when I was all healed. (thanks to my lupus, the graft stopped healing and I had to have a bit more work done to get the healing started again. ) My veterinarian and friend has dealt with basal cell also, and is now treating a squamous cell carcinoma on her forehead. She has cats, and this cream could kill dogs or cats; it is very toxic to them. Please see her post below. As she says, not to scare people not to use it, but to inform them about the toxicity. I checked Medco, my prescription drug provider, and there is no mention of animal toxicity for either product. I have sent Medco an email about this, and will call next week to see if I can get them to take action. Just a warning to patients, because we often have a pet sleeping with us, and a casual lick to the face could be deadly. (you are not supposed to bandage the spots, but you know it's going to get all over your pillow, if the treatment is on your face like mine was.)

      >>
      The cream is 5-Fluorouracil (5%) trade name Efudix and others. I believe your cream is a .5% concentration of the same thing. Also shortened to 5FU. It has caused a number of deaths in cats and dogs. This is not to scare people into not using, just to let them know about the toxicity for pets and to be careful not to let them lick the areas treated or your hands or chew on the tube. People do put this cream all over, looks like heck for a while but if it heals it is supposed to improve the skin. I guess like face peels!

      <<



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.