Sunshine ...not eating well

  • LeeAnnC
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012
      Sunshine is 16...she is on enalapril..lasix....vetmedin for her heart
      one unit of lantus 2x a day for her sugar and tapazole transdermal for her thyroid.
      One of my other cats got sick around december with cancer and i was so engrossed in taking care of him i didn't watch Sunshine as well as i should have. I noticed she wasn't eating well 2 weeks ago and i took her back to the vet...her cardiac ultrasound according to the cardiologist and my vet..(he was there when it was done) said it was better then fantastic. Her bloods were perfect...she weighed 15.7 which was okay.
      This week she was hardly eating anything ..picking at her food..i took her back to the vet again and he said it's not her heart..her teeth are perfect and repeat bloods showed perfect...BUT..she weighed in at 16 pnds...i know that's not a big difference from 15.7 but the cat isn't eating much...(she absolutely is not eating when i'm not here because i purposely put her in the bedroom alone to see what she eats). I am paranoid here that she has fluid somewhere...my vet said no...he would see it in her abdomen and he would hear it.
      I just keep thinking fluid..i don't know why but i know a person who gains weight and doesn't eat it's usually fluid...obviously the cats heart is okay because i did the ultrasound..(board certified cardiologist).
      Is there something i'm missing here?.
      thanks,
      Lee Ann
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2012
        Hi Lee Ann

        Vetmedin has been a miracle drug for my heart cats as well, it sounds as if
        Sunshine is heart stable and doing well in that. I`m sorry she's poorly
        and not eating. Have you considered an infection? She may be feeling sick or
        have a blocked nose which is preventing her eating. How long has this been
        going on?

        She may need antibiotics or something to stop her feeling sick if it's an
        infection. There are lots of reasons cats don't eat. I`d try lots of
        different foods, especially recovery diet from the vets. She needs to eat
        regularly or her liver will suffer, so you could syringe some recovery diet mixed
        with water into her mouth to help her.