Re: HCM and loose clots

  • Anna Moore
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi Claire
      Any advice is greatly appreciated. I like to be informed before I go to the vet so I am able to suggest things to them. I will look into these oils, scrubs and the stimulants and binders. This area is all new to me, I had only just managed to get my head round his hcm and get into a routine. What you said about supporting the kidneys more is exactly what the consultant in the hospital said. Some of his levels are starting to return to normal so fingers crossed he may get home soon. They are planning to reintroduce the frusemide to him today after being on a drip
      Thank you for all your help
      Anna and biscuit x
    • Toby Jones
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
        The Catit water fountain is the best fountain that I have used, and the most affordable that I have seen.  Please read Tanya's Chronic Kidney Disease website (www.felinecrf.org).  It is VERY informative regarding kidney disease.  Basically you want to be as easy on the kidneys as you are able, and a canned food diet with low phosphorous is a good way to do it.  I believe there is a chart with food values for the UK on Tanya's website.  You are in a rough spot because you are trying to keep Biscuit hydrated without over hydrating him.  The last piece of advice that I would give you is to buy a baby scale and weigh Biscuit once per day.  I purchased one for about $35 on Amazon that is accurate to half an ounce and has a "hold" function for squirmy babies/cats.  A scale is highly advised because you can tell if Biscuit is rapidly losing weight or gaining weight from water retention.  We didn't realize how dehydrated Eli was until much too late.  I
        now weigh my three cats once per day and chart their weight.  It may seem like a lot of work, but I do the same with our new (human) baby, and I love my cats just as much, so it is worth the effort to me.

        Ryan