Re: HCM and loose clots

  • Anna Moore
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2012
      Hi Toby
      I remember reading your posts about Eli when I first joined the group and I am truly sorry for your loss.
      I think biscuit is already taking benazepril as fortekor as it is marketed in the uk. I will definately speak to the animal hospital regarding a low phosphorous diet, will do some research into that this week before he comes home. He was on the hills gd dried diet before he became ill so will look at the canned and pouch kd versions they do, unless you have any recommendations??
      I also have a catit water fountain at home which he drinks out of, so am glad to see am doing some things right!!
      Many thanks for your mail, it's been greatly appreciated and very informative
      Anna and biscuit x
    • Anna Moore
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
        Hi Claire
        Any advice is greatly appreciated. I like to be informed before I go to the vet so I am able to suggest things to them. I will look into these oils, scrubs and the stimulants and binders. This area is all new to me, I had only just managed to get my head round his hcm and get into a routine. What you said about supporting the kidneys more is exactly what the consultant in the hospital said. Some of his levels are starting to return to normal so fingers crossed he may get home soon. They are planning to reintroduce the frusemide to him today after being on a drip
        Thank you for all your help
        Anna and biscuit x
      • Toby Jones
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
          The Catit water fountain is the best fountain that I have used, and the most affordable that I have seen.  Please read Tanya's Chronic Kidney Disease website (www.felinecrf.org).  It is VERY informative regarding kidney disease.  Basically you want to be as easy on the kidneys as you are able, and a canned food diet with low phosphorous is a good way to do it.  I believe there is a chart with food values for the UK on Tanya's website.  You are in a rough spot because you are trying to keep Biscuit hydrated without over hydrating him.  The last piece of advice that I would give you is to buy a baby scale and weigh Biscuit once per day.  I purchased one for about $35 on Amazon that is accurate to half an ounce and has a "hold" function for squirmy babies/cats.  A scale is highly advised because you can tell if Biscuit is rapidly losing weight or gaining weight from water retention.  We didn't realize how dehydrated Eli was until much too late.  I
          now weigh my three cats once per day and chart their weight.  It may seem like a lot of work, but I do the same with our new (human) baby, and I love my cats just as much, so it is worth the effort to me.

          Ryan