Hi I am new here.

  • Sanchia
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
      My 11 yr old diabetic cat was diagnosed with heart failure january 2,2012. He is on 2.5 mg enalapril 2x a day, 1.25cc lasix 3x a day and 2 cc rutin 3x a day. He had 3 taps in 4 days and after his tap on monday it seemed like we finally got ahead of the fluid build up. His breathing was at 36 until an hour ago,its now close to 60. I just spoke to his vet and she recommended we start giving 1.5 cc of lasix 3x a day and come in for an ultrasound on sunday early morning. I hope the lasix increase helps.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear you kitty is unwell. What is his name?

        If his breathing is 60, that's an emergency and he will need to go to the
        vet today for either a tap or intravenous lasix. They may add another
        diuretic called spironolactone. When Trixi was at her worst she had lasix every 4
        hours through the day once she came home from the hospital. It's good he
        has the ultrasound tomorrow but he needs treatment now.

      • jenzcritters
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
          Hi.
          Rutin is usually given for chylothorax which is particularly nasty kind of fluid that builds up around heart and lungs. Is this what your kitty has?
          What is the reason for the heart failure? Does he have HCM?
          I also hope the increase in lasix is helpful.
          Jenny