Re: [FH] The Effect of Hydration Status on the Echocardiographic Measurements of Normal Cats

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
      Let's be cautious when discussing this article. We shouldn't assume or let new people assume that the vet could be wrong in making a diagnosis due to changes in fluid levels in a cat and that the vet could be wrong in a HCM diagnosis and a cat may not need care. To complete a diagnosis, a CBC/chem panel, echo, and xrays are needed to understand the full picture of health. An enlarged heart will show up on the xray and echo. Fluid buildup that isn't normal will show. Fluid in the lungs that shouldn't be there will show in the xray.  No vet should make a diagnosis based on one thing. And a good vet will move cautiously through a treatment plan based on the current findings and will have the patient rechecked shortly after to see how things are progressing.